The Student Room Group

does a gap year disadvantage you

i mentioned to my parents that i wanted to take a gap year before uni (not to travel, just bc i think i'll need a mental health break) and they said they wont allow me to
is that because it puts you at a disadvantage when applying to uni? or do my parents just want me to get through my studies and work asap?
Original post by mymelo
i mentioned to my parents that i wanted to take a gap year before uni (not to travel, just bc i think i'll need a mental health break) and they said they wont allow me to
is that because it puts you at a disadvantage when applying to uni? or do my parents just want me to get through my studies and work asap?

Hi there

A gap year can be taken at pretty much anytime (in between A levels and uni, in between uni years and after uni), they are very common. They do not put you at a disadvantage in the slightest! That being said I know that it is sometimes advised to not take a gap year straight after you finish your A levels as people can lose motivation and end up not going to uni the following year. Everyone is different though so it really depends on your reasons for taking a gap year and how much discipline/self control you have. Your parents are most likely worried that you won't end up going to uni after your gap year or maybe that you haven't got a goal for your gap year (Although I completely understand needing a mental health break). Perhaps your parents would come around to the idea of you taking a gap year if you had a plan for what to do during it. A year is a long time to not have a structure/routine so brainstorming some ideas could help them see how passionate you are about taking one. Here is a list of some of the things you could do during your gap year https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/student-life/gap-year/gap-years-ideas-and-things-think-about

Hope this helps a bit!

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep:smile:
It depends on your ambitions, finances and health.

While you are on gap year, you are not exempt from council tax but the child benefit payment will have stopped as soon as school ended.
Your parents may be worried about the financial implications of this.
Or they could believe that working or travelling during your gap year will have a negative impact on your mindset during the gap year and be very detrimental to your ability to be ready to commence undergrad study.

But at the end of the day it is your choice and your life.
Do you have much in savings?
Can you afford to take a gap year without parental support and access to their accomodation?
Will you be able to cope with doing some paid work during your gap year?
Good luck!
Original post by mymelo

1. It's not in your parents' remit to "not allow" you to have a gap year.
2. If it's a disadvantage or not, depends on what you do with. If you spend most of it crying into a pillow, then it is a disadvantage. If you get a minimum wage job & save up money for uni... that's kind of typical & normal. Not outstanding, but not bad either. If you use the time to get a variety of experiences, paying or non-paying, to build up your CV, then it's very unlikely to be a disadvantage.

I don't like how it sounds like the discussion between you and your parents just ended at "they wont allow me to". Roll credits. Your parents are being ignorant fools. If a mental health break is what you genuinely need, then the dumbest thing they could do is to force you to go to university just so you have a breakdown at the end of the first year and drop out or fall behind a year. Ridiculous.
Original post by mymelo

Hi,

Thought I'd make a comment because I was in an eerily similar situation to you. I was in Year 13 and honestly already quite burnt out at this time in the year. Two of my brothers had taken gap years so in a way it was slightly easier to bring up the idea to my immigrant parents. My dad was absolutely fine with it. My mum on the other hand... it took her an entire year to accept the fact that I wasn't going to uni. She would constantly berate me and tell me that it would be a waste of time. I had to really push it but now she's super positive about it. I'll be honest when I say unless you make an consistent effort to try new things and be proactive it'll be a miserable time. I was able to get a job in the summer and I'm hoping to start tutoring after Christmas but when I tell you this is the loneliest I've ever felt I'm not lying. A lot of the time you'll be alone and so you need to keep that in mind. It's only been two months so I've more or less adjusted but this gap year has let me think way more about just the traditional uni route. I've already been able to save around £800 and I'm trying to stay positive despite the uncertainty. Make a list of goals of things you want to achieve by the end of the gap year.

Hope this helps.
Reply 5
Original post by mymelo

Hi! in the same situation here. I feel i really do need a break as well and i was gonna use it to get a bunch of experience and such. Discuss it with your parents and such. I don't think it puts you at a disadvantge, everyone who is taking a gap year doesn't really regret it, it gives them time to do things

Quick Reply

Latest