The Student Room Group

Gap year 2023-2024

Is anyone taking a gap year this year? Kinda getting fomo from my other friends making new friends at uni… xd so it would be nice to make some gap year friends.
Reply 1
Original post by dartexs
Is anyone taking a gap year this year? Kinda getting fomo from my other friends making new friends at uni… xd so it would be nice to make some gap year friends.

I am also taking a gap year too!
Reply 2
Original post by kaylllllll
I am also taking a gap year too!

omg!!! hi. what are u planning to do next yr + do u have discord 👀👀
Reply 3
What are your plans?
Original post by dartexs

hey yh im taking a gap yr in 2023/2024! sucks but i needed to because of my health unfortunately so im feeling the fomo already. i go to uni of brighton.
Reply 5
Original post by dartexs

Hey, I'm also in the same situation. Anyone interested in being friends free to PM me!
Reply 6
Original post by dartexs

Hey, I'm taking a gap year too! I've applied to study Psychology at uni next year. are you on other socials?
Hi, I'm also taking a gap year. Will apply for uni next year
Original post by dartexs

2 months late but same here. I've gone back to 6th form to do another A-level so applying this year
Original post by dartexs

Hey,

I took a gap year (feels like just yesterday but is actually now going on 4 years)! I completely get where you're coming from as almost all my friends from 6th form at the time went straight to University. It was always a little disheartening seeing all their socials whilst I was working several jobs but I had plans to travel in my gap year so knew it would all be worth it in the long run! Unfortunately my Gap Year coincided with when COVID hit and all the lockdowns started so my travel plans kind of went out the window.

Luckily I was still able to have some shorter trips throughout the year leading up to it and it was insured for the trips that ended up getting cancelled! If you are thinking about doing some trips this year I'd definitely make sure:

You've got your insurance sorted, sounds like an obvious one (and touch wood nothing would happen that you would need it). I've gotten myself in a few situations where having the insurance has been a lifesaver!!

You've found some things to do when you're there. I never liked to completely plan my trips but knowing I was going to an event or booked into a hostel that was sociable for travellers always made it easier to make friends and gain new experiences!

You've researched the country you're visiting if you're going abroad. I signed up to FCDO Travel Alerts and they were actually the reason I cancelled my Ski Trip in time to claim back my deposits just before the Lockdowns were announced (always better safe than sorry)

If you are thinking about University for after your Gap Year, let me reassure you that no matter when or where you end up going you'll be able to get just as much involved and find something for you! Whilst it can be a very daunting experience at the start and there is this idea that everyone finds their crowd straight away, going to University is a super impressive step to take and there will always be support available once you get there!

I hope you have a great Gap Year and if you wanted any more info on some travelling tips or anything University related, feel free to reach out!

Abi :smile:
Travel Aware Student Brand Ambassador
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest