The Student Room Group

Accounting and finance Bsc Coventry university

Hi I am looking to start accounting and finance , I would like to know how hard it will be and how I can prepare for it
Original post by unknown1233
Hi I am looking to start accounting and finance , I would like to know how hard it will be and how I can prepare for it

I haven't done accounting and finance at Coventry, but from the look of things it seems pretty straightforward.

Year 1 starts off pretty slow. See the following: https://www.coventry.ac.uk/course-structure/ug/fbl/accounting-and-finance-bsc-hons/

The economics and stats modules are roughly AS Economics and AS Maths (stats), so they're not exactly modules that would make you pull out your hair. If you haven't done economics or maths as A Levels, then a quick read of the material would help.

Financial and management accounting will start off pretty slow and are usually straightforward. If you look at the spec for A Level accounting (AQA), you can find more of the material is akin to management accounting than financial accounting, but there is some material relevant to financial accounting. I wouldn't look into it too deeply as about half of the material is relevant.

Finance is relatively straightforward. The maths isn't difficult as it's mostly ratios analysis and cost of capital calculations. There are a few bits and bobs in the accounting A Level spec that would be relevant.

Entrepreneurship thinking is something on another level. I don't usually like entrepreneurship modules and I don't have positive experiences of them (a lot of people avoid picking this subject for a reason as I later find out). There's nothing I can recommend for you to look into.

If you have not been acquainted with academic writing, then I recommend reading How to Write Great Essays by Peter Levin. Ir's a brilliant book that could take you from a 2:2 to a 1st class. Knowing how to write in a way that academia accepts is key to doing well.

Other suggestions:

Become proficient in Microsoft Office (e.g. do MOS certificate if possible, but ICDL is OK)

Learn to touch type (takes about 10 hours, so a weekend) - it's a life skill that could save you years of your life

Learn to speed read; it can save you hours of your life and destress you during university

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending