The Student Room Group

Grade 9 in English Literature?

I do Edexcel iGCSE and I'm currently working at a 7. I want to improve my grade (maybe not a 9, but an 8 would be great!). Any advice for unseen poetry, anthology poetry, and modern prose?
Get past papers and do essay plans for the questions

By plans I mean only do like quotes and analysis

The analysis should include context, themes etc

Do the plan in bullet points to save time

That’s what I’m doing now

You would also learn quotes through this and how to apply them
(edited 1 year ago)
Okay great, thank you so much! In the exam there's a choice of a character question or a theme question, do I need to make essay plans for the themes or will just making essay plans for characters be enough?
Original post by scar-the-queen
Okay great, thank you so much! In the exam there's a choice of a character question or a theme question, do I need to make essay plans for the themes or will just making essay plans for characters be enough?

I would do both, because then you would be able to choose the question your comfortable with the most. However, if you are short on time then choose what you need most plans for/revision for.
Original post by Noshy-Nosh
I would do both, because then you would be able to choose the question your comfortable with the most. However, if you are short on time then choose what you need most plans for/revision for.

Ok thank you!
I do Edexcel iGCSE and I'm currently working at a 7. I want to improve my grade (maybe not a 9, but an 8 would be great!). Any advice for unseen poetry, anthology poetry, and modern prose?

It is great that you are working towards improving your iGCSE grade! Here are some tips for the three areas you mentioned:

Unseen Poetry:
-Read the poem multiple times to fully understand the meaning and context.
-Look for literary devices like metaphors, similes, alliteration, and symbolism and analyze how they contribute to the poem's meaning.
-Identify the tone of the poem and consider how it might change throughout.
-Think about the speaker's perspective and how it may affect the poem's meaning.
-Practice writing essays on a variety of unseen poems to improve your analysis skills.
Anthology Poetry:
-Review the poems in the anthology multiple times and create a summary of the main themes for each poem.
-Consider how the poems relate to each other thematically and how they reflect the cultural and historical context of their time.
-Pay attention to literary devices and analyz how they contribute to the meaning of each poem.
-Practice writing essays comparing and contrasting different poems in the anthology.
Modern Prose:
-Read the text closely and pay attention to character development, plot, and setting.
-Consider the themes of the text and how they are developed throughout the story.
-Identify any literary devices used in the text and analyze how they contribute to the story's meaning.
-Practice writing essays on a variety of modern prose texts to improve your analytical skills.

In addition to these tips, make sure you have a good understanding of the exam format and timing so that you can manage your time effectively during the exam. Practice past papers and get feedback from your teacher or tutor to help you improve your writing skills. Good luck!
Ok thank you!

No prob
Original post by Frashostra.
It is great that you are working towards improving your iGCSE grade! Here are some tips for the three areas you mentioned:

Unseen Poetry:
-Read the poem multiple times to fully understand the meaning and context.
-Look for literary devices like metaphors, similes, alliteration, and symbolism and analyze how they contribute to the poem's meaning.
-Identify the tone of the poem and consider how it might change throughout.
-Think about the speaker's perspective and how it may affect the poem's meaning.
-Practice writing essays on a variety of unseen poems to improve your analysis skills.
Anthology Poetry:
-Review the poems in the anthology multiple times and create a summary of the main themes for each poem.
-Consider how the poems relate to each other thematically and how they reflect the cultural and historical context of their time.
-Pay attention to literary devices and analyz how they contribute to the meaning of each poem.
-Practice writing essays comparing and contrasting different poems in the anthology.
Modern Prose:
-Read the text closely and pay attention to character development, plot, and setting.
-Consider the themes of the text and how they are developed throughout the story.
-Identify any literary devices used in the text and analyze how they contribute to the story's meaning.
-Practice writing essays on a variety of modern prose texts to improve your analytical skills.

In addition to these tips, make sure you have a good understanding of the exam format and timing so that you can manage your time effectively during the exam. Practice past papers and get feedback from your teacher or tutor to help you improve your writing skills. Good luck!

Thank you very much this is extremely helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending