The Student Room Group

Fitness to practice meeting

Hi! First post, hope this is ok!

I’ve recently finished my first year of nursing. At the end of my last placement I experienced significant mental health issues and had to take time off sick. This resulted in my portfolio missing essential signatures
I have agreed an extension for this.

I also have a fitness to practice hearing coming up due to concerns raised by placement. One significant issue is the accusation of mocking a disabled person.

For context: I did not then, or have ever mocked anybody with disabilities. I am currently employed as a learning disability champion for my health board providing 1:1 care and assessment of needs for inpatients with learning disabilities.

The patient in question was utilising a walking aid and appeared distressed. I proceeded to go to my knees and walk at eye level with them to reassure and try to deescalate their anxiety.

My lecturer understands and accepts my rationale and respects my position as learning disability champion.

My question is: although I’m allowed to continue my studies and have been allowed to attend my upcoming placement. What do I have to fear from the fitness to practice panel?

I hope this makes sense, I’m writing this in a place of panic.
The Fitness to Practise Committee is made up of registered nurses or midwives and lay members. The Committee considers cases where a nurse, midwife or nursing associate's fitness to practise is alleged to be impaired due to: misconduct. lack of competence.29 Jan 2021
https://www.nmc.org.uk hearings
Fitness to Practise Committee - The Nursing and Midwifery Council

Original post by WelshStudent93
Hi! First post, hope this is ok!

I’ve recently finished my first year of nursing. At the end of my last placement I experienced significant mental health issues and had to take time off sick. This resulted in my portfolio missing essential signatures
I have agreed an extension for this.

I also have a fitness to practice hearing coming up due to concerns raised by placement. One significant issue is the accusation of mocking a disabled person.

For context: I did not then, or have ever mocked anybody with disabilities. I am currently employed as a learning disability champion for my health board providing 1:1 care and assessment of needs for inpatients with learning disabilities.

The patient in question was utilising a walking aid and appeared distressed. I proceeded to go to my knees and walk at eye level with them to reassure and try to deescalate their anxiety.

My lecturer understands and accepts my rationale and respects my position as learning disability champion.

My question is: although I’m allowed to continue my studies and have been allowed to attend my upcoming placement. What do I have to fear from the fitness to practice panel?

I hope this makes sense, I’m writing this in a place of panic.

Unfortunately you'll have to fight your corner about this allegation that you took the Mickey out of a disabled person - providing you can prove that you never did this then you should be fine.
Have you spoken with your university student representative for support on dealing with things.

Sometimes you'll find a nurse who will just report students for no reasons due to perhaps you not doing what they want you to do for them. It's part of the hazards of the job.

It's good that your lecturer understands your reasoning for what happend and I hope that your lecturer will support you in the meeting.

You have nothing to worry about with having a meeting with hospital staff members about fitness to practice... It's a meeting to discuss what allegedly happened with this particular patient okay.
Make sure that you put your mental health first and always discuss issues with either your lecturer ( course leader) or the ward sister or manager about any staff member's.

Keep me posted on how you get on with things as hopefully you'll just be told to read up on the disability act etc and watch your cut conduct with things like this as just be aware of what you say and do while you are still a student nurse because of how some nurses report students. I have been there with qualified nurses when they think they can bully students and they forget they were students themselves. I dealt with things in my own way outside of working on wards etc.

I have gave you a link above about the fitness to practice guidelines but I AM putting it below incase you can't open the link:-

Fitness to Practise Committee
Who sits on the Fitness to Practise Committee and how does it work?

The Fitness to Practise Committee is made up of registered nurses or midwives and lay members. The Committee considers cases where a nurse, midwife or nursing associate’s fitness to practise is alleged to be impaired due to:
misconduct
lack of competence
a conviction or caution for a criminal offence
not having the necessary knowledge of English
physical or mental health
a finding by any other health or social care regulator or licensing body that fitness to practise is impaired.
Fitness to practise hearings are usually held in public to reflect our accountability to the public. The panel may agree to hold parts of or all of the case in private, to protect the anonymity of the alleged victim, or if confidential medical evidence is shared. In cases where a nurse, midwife or nursing associate’s fitness to practise is alleged to be impaired by reason of health then the hearing will be held in private due to the confidential nature of these cases. Panels decide whether a nurse, midwife or nursing associate’s fitness to practise is currently impaired. When making this decision, panels consider the standards expected of a registered nurse, midwife or nursing associate ordinarily working at that level of practice not for the highest possible level of practice. Panels will also look at the standards and guidance set out by us. Even if there has been a breach of a standard set out in the Code or failure to follow guidance in the past, it does not automatically mean that a nurse, midwife or nursing associate’s fitness to practise is currently impaired. That is for the panel to decide, having considered any evidence regarding what has happened since the breach or failures occurred.
Sanctions
If the panel decide that a nurse, midwife or nursing associate’s fitness to practise is impaired, then the panel uses our sanctions guidance to choose which of the available sanctions is most appropriate. First, the panel must consider whether it is appropriate not to take any further action. If the panel decides this option is not appropriate, it can:
issue a caution for a period of between one and five years
impose conditions of practice for a period of up to three years
suspend the nurse, midwife or nursing associate’s registration for up to one year, or
strike off the nurse, midwife or nursing associate from the register.
When considering health cases, lack of competence cases or cases where fitness to practise is impaired by not having the necessary knowledge of English, a panel of the Fitness to Practise Committee cannot make a decision to impose a striking off order the first time the case is heard. The panel can only apply this sanction if the nurse, midwife or nursing associate has been continuously suspended or subject to conditions of practice order for the previous two years (this does not include interim orders).

A NHS registered midwife.
The university are fully in my defence regarding the allegation and I feel devastated to be accused of this.
I appreciate being a nurse is dangerous and you have to continuously consider your approach, especially in this day and age where people are a lot easier offended.

My thoughts are that being able to continue my studies and attend further placement which starts next week is promising that I won’t suffer any negative consequences and my academic mentor assured me it’s a panel to assess whether I need additional support due to SPLD (adhd diagnosis alongside the mental health conditions l) listing me as having a disability.

I have been advised to get character references from my workplace (bank assistant practitioner) to provide a complete view of my working practice and ny standard of patient care.

Thank you so much for your lengthy and detailed response. It’s been really reassuring.
My next step is to contact my union for support to write a statement and inform them of the position I am in as currently I’ve been representing myself due to assurance my place on the course is safe.

I wish you a truly pleasant day and will update with further updates when they come up. Unfortunately it can be a long process of up to a few months. But I have further meetings to discuss action plans to support me on my future placements. In the program directors words today “we want to set you up to succeed, we won’t let this fail you.”
Original post by WelshStudent93
The university are fully in my defence regarding the allegation and I feel devastated to be accused of this.
I appreciate being a nurse is dangerous and you have to continuously consider your approach, especially in this day and age where people are a lot easier offended.

My thoughts are that being able to continue my studies and attend further placement which starts next week is promising that I won’t suffer any negative consequences and my academic mentor assured me it’s a panel to assess whether I need additional support due to SPLD (adhd diagnosis alongside the mental health conditions l) listing me as having a disability.

I have been advised to get character references from my workplace (bank assistant practitioner) to provide a complete view of my working practice and ny standard of patient care.

Thank you so much for your lengthy and detailed response. It’s been really reassuring.
My next step is to contact my union for support to write a statement and inform them of the position I am in as currently I’ve been representing myself due to assurance my place on the course is safe.

I wish you a truly pleasant day and will update with further updates when they come up. Unfortunately it can be a long process of up to a few months. But I have further meetings to discuss action plans to support me on my future placements. In the program directors words today “we want to set you up to succeed, we won’t let this fail you.”

Thanks for your update ☺️

That's the main thing for you that the university is supporting you with this matter.
Of course it's not pleasant being falsely accused of things but at least you will have the opportunity to clear up the matter.

I'm glad you are continuing your placement and studying at university and you concentrate on this New placement and get through this with flying colours. Just make sure you don't let anyone else upset you with false allegations.
You'll learn to be more aware of how you do things as a student nurse.

Yes the meeting with the panel of working practice will be there for to help you through anything you need in regards of support etc.
You are absolutely doing well in handling this degree especially with you having ADHD and I do know that it may affect your attendance but hopefully if you got things under control then you'll manage to get through your degree hopefully without having to take any days off due to your health issues.

That sounds good for you to get a character reference from your bank nursing as they can write about everything you are doing and how you are as a bank nurse.
Standard of care to patients is a number one priority as you'll know about and it sounds like you are giving the best of care possible.

Get in touch with your university student representative and discuss the plan of action that you can take if required as they will hopefully guide you through this.

I understand that the process can take a long time to sort out and you'll have this in your mind until you have the final outcome of this meeting but try not let it get to you while you are doing your next placement as thoroughly concentrate on getting through it and getting a good report at the end.

Appreciate you going to update me on how you get on with things as don't be afraid to PM me anytime if you want to ask things.....
All the future meetings for to discuss action plans will be successful for you as long as you are putting in the work you are asked to do.

You'll be successful and you'll go on and qualify as a registered nurse.

Thanks again and you too have a pleasant day and hope you'll enjoy your placement when you start it 😀😀

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending