The Student Room Group

Is 58% a good mark for UK Universities.

Got an essay back today, and I got 58% on it. Generally I get medium to high 60's om essays. However, those essays are generally on history topics, this one was politics which I have never really done before.

I'm at Edinburgh Uni, and it says on the marking schemes that 50-59 is a C. I think a C is pretty **** to be honest.

Can anyone tell me if this is actually an ok mark?
Original post by HermitIsFat
Got an essay back today, and I got 58% on it. Generally I get medium to high 60's om essays. However, those essays are generally on history topics, this one was politics which I have never really done before.

I'm at Edinburgh Uni, and it says on the marking schemes that 50-59 is a C. I think a C is pretty **** to be honest.

It's a respectable grade, but not really good i.e. a pass is a pass, despite how bad it is.

Presuming the Scottish marking system at university is the same as that for England, I can assume the following:
70+ = 1st class (or A if you like)
60-69 = 2:1 (B)
50-59 = 2:2
40-49 = 3rd (D)
40 or less = fail

It's mythical, but there are people who got as high as 80 or more.

If you want to go into a competitive graduate scheme, you want at least a B. If you want to get into a PhD, you want at least a B, but ideally an A.
A C would barely be a pass at master's level, and most graduate employers would shun people with 2:2 (Cs)

I would perform better in your next set of assignments.
Original post by Anonymous
It's a respectable grade, but not really good i.e. a pass is a pass, despite how bad it is.

Presuming the Scottish marking system at university is the same as that for England, I can assume the following:
40-49 = 3rd (D)
40 or less = fail

If you want to go into a competitive graduate scheme, you want at least a B. If you want to get into a PhD, you want at least a B, but ideally an A.
A C would barely be a pass at master's level, and most graduate employers would shun people with 2:2 (Cs)

I should mention that this is year two undergrad degree, so it won't matter to my overall grade, and it is also an elective course so I don't really care about it. I do much better in my main classes, 65% or better generally.

And I am definetly not going to apply for a PHD or a postgrad degree so I am not worried about that in the slightest lol.
Original post by HermitIsFat

Well it’s about expectations, and it’s important to understand that bar a limited handful of exceptions like your dissertations. Measuring performance off 1 grade isn’t a great measuring stick, sometimes a module has below average grades, maybe you didn’t fully grasp something in the assignment brief…

but 58% is below average, and when I was an undergraduate I considered a mid 2.1 (65ish) a par score. So I certainly wouldn’t say it’s a “good” mark, but it’s also not that bad, and if your average is on target for what you want then you’ll have no problems.

40-49 = 3rd (D)
40 or less = fail

Agreed 58% is slightly low - but as a one-off its fine. I got 52% on one assignment. But my average grade used for my degree class was 82! But I hasten to add my degree was in Biology not politics!
Original post by Biostu84
Agreed 58% is slightly low - but as a one-off its fine. I got 52% on one assignment. But my average grade used for my degree class was 82! But I hasten to add my degree was in Biology not politics!

My degree isn't in politics, its in ancient history. Probably why my mark was lower than average.

I don't know how science courses work, so I don't know how they are graded, I'd assume its just right or wrong answers? I've never known anyone in my course to get more than 80 on anything though, so I'm impressed.

It's not really mythical if it happens :laugh:
Reply 7
Not bad but not great. 'Middling' is how I'd describe it. It's not a huge problem for you so don't get hung up on it.

Original post by Biostu84

Yes, you are spot on re averages. As an aside, I graduated in philosophy with a mid 80s average.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending