The Student Room Group

What are A Levels?

I know that A levels are qualifications, but what exactly does an A level consist of?

I'm planning to take Maths, Chemistry and Biology A levels at some point.
I did some research and apparently there are AS levels within an a level? What is an AS level? does it not count as an a level?

Sorry if this question seems stupid, I just had to ask
Stupid questions are the best questions! (And, i don’t think it is stupid).
A-Levels are subjects which usually broaden your knowledge of subjects learnt at GCSE, and set you up for more university-based topics. Depending on which you choose, there my be some things entirely brand new, and that’s okay! A way to help you understand what they consist of, in more detail, is by looking at some specifications. Science are typically AQA, but it depends on what college/sixth form you wish to attend.
I hope this helps!
Original post by person36
I know that A levels are qualifications, but what exactly does an A level consist of?

I'm planning to take Maths, Chemistry and Biology A levels at some point.
I did some research and apparently there are AS levels within an a level? What is an AS level? does it not count as an a level?

Sorry if this question seems stupid, I just had to ask

A-Levels are a post-16 qualification that most people take so they can go to university. A-Level is the full 2 year course. AS is just a 1 year course.

At the end of the first year of A-Level, you take AS exams (internal or external, depends on your school) and those will help determine your UCAS grade.
If you're a private candidate hoping to do the full A-Level course, you don't need to do it.
Some A-Levels have an NEA element but based on your options, you don't need to worry about that.
Then the A-Level exams come around at the end of the 2nd year and those will be the grades that matter.
Original post by JA03
At the end of the first year of A-Level, you take AS exams (internal or external, depends on your school) and those will help determine your UCAS grade.

In the UK, A levels are now linear so that exams on all the content take place at the end of the second year. So if you take an exam at the end of year 12, it won't count towards your A level score.

The majority of international students still have the modular AS/A2 system.

Quick Reply

Latest