The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

BadExaminee
Trust me, the hardest education system is that in Bangladesh...no other is as harder!

I can explain if people want.

Never heard about it like Indian, Japanese and Chinese. Yeah, explain please.
Not many people are in a position where they can say they have had experience of more than one system and be able to judge which was harder. Even then, the one they did last I presume would be judged as harder as it will have been done to a higher level. And still it is all subjective.

But in my opinion it's probably not the English system.
Reply 22
BadExaminee
Trust me, the hardest education system is that in Bangladesh...no other is as harder!

I can explain if people want.

The reason the INDIAN system is hardest is partly to do with the number of people sitting exams, there is no way the bangladeshi system is hardest because there cant be that much competition and quite frankly the bangledeshi unis aren't exactly world renowned.
Reply 23
From what I know, Russian is harder than English. Can't comment on other ones.
SilkySmooth
Never heard about it like Indian, Japanese and Chinese. Yeah, explain please.

Well, the Bangladeshi education system is a close resemblance of the Indian one, but the problems are multiplied by a 1000 times.

1. There are no options for creativity in the primary and secondary schools. You are basically forced to give up all your creativity and start memorizing a huge bunch of dirty pages. If you can do that , you'll pass , or else not. Plus, the teachers regularly hit and torment the small kids in public schools. The situation is much better in private schools , but hardly anyone can afford them.

2. Once you graduate from year 12 with the HSCs (equivalent to A-levels), you enter another life-and-death competition. The highest achievement in HSC possible is a GPA of 5.0. Over 60,000 students got GPA 5 in 2008 (and over 200,000 passed) , but the total no. of seats in public universities is only about 20,000 , which means the vast majority of the students cannot get into their preferred institution just because of the overcrowding.

Also, you have to sit for an Admission test if you want enter any university , and all unis have their different admission tests. Which means you'll have to take over 20 tests in all parts of the country before you can get into a uni . Also, unis admit students based on performance in admission test. If someone got GPA 5 in HSC and 98/100 in admission test, and another got GPA 4.5 in HSC and 99/100 in admission test, the latter person will be accepted...how fair !
vik101
The reason the INDIAN system is hardest is partly to do with the number of people sitting exams, there is no way the bangladeshi system is hardest because there cant be that much competition and quite frankly the bangledeshi unis aren't exactly world renowned.

Whats the point of bashing Bangladeshi unis...what has that got to do with the education system being harder ?? More people fight for uni seats in Bangladesh than in India. (I'm talking of ratio.)
IMO, International Baccalaureate is probably the most difficult of the more "common" education systems. lucky me, IB next year :frown:
Reply 27
Definitely not English.
Chinese.

Esp. in Hong Kong.

My cousins are slaving away over there. And the fact is, over there, you could get 90% in an exam and still get a B. Shocking I know. My mum went through all that, and she moved over here with my Dad so that my sister and I wouldn't be exposed to that system. :/
Reply 29
BadExaminee
Whats the point of bashing Bangladeshi unis...what has that got to do with the education system being harder ?? More people fight for uni seats in Bangladesh than in India. (I'm talking of ratio.)

WHAT?! Ok, let me give an example, IIT(indian institue of technology) has around 3000 places, for those 3000 places around 400,000 people apply that's a ratio of 133:1, beat that.
Reply 30
madima
yes, but having fewer subjects allows you to go more in-depth.

Actually no, even if it's a pretty common idea. French students have more subjects but still do the same content as british students.. So yeah we work more lol
vik101
WHAT?! Ok, let me give an example, IIT(indian institue of technology) has around 3000 places, for those 3000 places around 400,000 people apply that's a ratio of 133:1, beat that.

Yes it can be nearly beaten :smile:

The Institute of Business Administration (IBA) at Dhaka University has 75 seats, but over 6,000 people apply. So ratio is 1:80.
Reply 32
cactus_c
Actually no, even if it's a pretty common idea. French students have more subjects but still do the same content as british students.. So yeah we work more lol

i've only seen maths papers from "the bac". to be honest, they look simple, and if you compare them to standard a-level maths (yeah i know maths in this country is easier than others) with 12 modules and 18 hours of exam time, the exams cover less maths.
England
Reply 34
madima
i've only seen maths papers from "the bac". to be honest, they look simple, and if you compare them to standard a-level maths (yeah i know maths in this country is easier than others) with 12 modules, the exams cover less maths.

which filiere? scientific, economics, litterary? was it a specialite? it's a bit easy to just say that. Plus we're not talking about just the bac, but the workload in general.
Does anyone know how the German system is compared to others?
Reply 36
BadExaminee

The Institute of Business Administration (IBA) at Dhaka University has 75 seats, but over 6,000 people apply. So ratio is 1:80.

right...., and how is a ratio of 80:1 higher than a ratio of 133:1 ? or am I missing something. plus the uni I gave as an example is the best uni in india so schools filter out their best students to sit that exam and still the ratio is 133:1. :smile:
Reply 37
BadExaminee

so it can't be beaten then:rolleyes:
Reply 38
German system: As far as I know, students have to continue with around 10 subjects or more up till university (or atleast till the age of 16) and are given a mark from 1-6 in each subject (1 being the best I think). The thing which really frustrates me about it is that each school is in charge of writing their own test papers AND marking their own test papers - so essentially they could set each question of the maths paper to be simple addition (obviously this doesn't happen). Germans tend to go to university a bit later than in the UK, around 19 I think.

Anyways to answer the main question of this thread: Chinese.
I've talked to quite a few people about the system and it seems to be complete hell - until you reach university. You have no time for a social life, you work long hours and on saturdays too. I have a friend in China who is around 17-18 and she tells me she has school from 8am-9pm Monday-Saturday. I think she may have said Sunday too, but I don't want to quote her wrongly on that.
More info on the system (from a reliable Chinese source): exams called 高考 gao1 kao3 to go to uni. Normally high school students spend more than10 hours a day studying. You take exams in around 10 subjects and there are often exams several times during a month.
A picture for you: http://campus.chinaren.com/20080916/n259581452_5.shtml
Anyways there may be harder ones out there - once again it depends how you define 'hardest'. In this case I defined it as the one you have to work the most for. There's a huge amount of competition between everyone and a friend told me some ppl in her school committed suicide because it was too much for them - ouch :frown:
Checkmate121
I'd say french

I too have heard that the French educational system is very, very hard.

miv
On the level of university admission and last grade of school I would say one of the hardest is Greek. But it is not so hard in other levels.

Yes, I have a friend in Greece, and she had very good grades, yet not good enough to get in to Architecture at uni, so she decided to go to uni in Romania instead.

Latest

Trending

Trending