The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
vik101
WHAT?! Ok, let me give an example, IIT(indian institue of technology) has around 3000 places, for those 3000 places around 400,000 people apply that's a ratio of 133:1, beat that.

But arn't the IIT unis Indias Oxford/Harvard ? BadExaminees talking about overcrowding stopping people getting into any university not just the best his country has to offer. Doesn't sound like a fair comparison.
kizza1

lol

Seriously it can't be that tough !
Reply 42
In the IB you have to take pretty much as many subjects as you do in the French system but the workload is much, much higher. I don't understand why the BAC is praised so much.
Reply 43
IB or the Chinese system, I reckon. I reckon the one person to say England in this thread was just trying to be deliberately controversial. And as far as France goes I'd say that the classes préparatoires are far more ridiculous than the bac (virtually everyone in France who takes the bac passes it).
kizza1
There's a huge amount of competition between everyone and a friend told me some ppl in her school committed suicide because it was too much for them - ouch :frown:

That's so true. Hence another reason why my parents came to the UK.

It's just competitive more than anything because there, they allocate a certain percent for each grade overall. So if like 100,000 (per se) students took exams in one year in the whole of HK, they would allocate a certain percent for the top grade, the second top grade, etc. So like I said before, even if you get like over 90% in an exam, this still doesn't guarantee you the top grade. It also depends on your luck as well, cos some years don't do as well as others.
Reply 45
The hardest basic education in the world is in China.
The hardest higher education in the world is german.
I've experienced the both,
compared with the master study in germany---theoretically 2 years, normally more than 2 years and a half, there's only one year in uk, unbelievable, that's easy to illustrate the quality of master education in UK.
East Asian
china
The IB.

Although admittedly, I've not experienced anything else other than the US system, which is laughable...
Reply 49
I don't know much about the others, but the French system pretty much killed me. Or at least having to sit 13 subjects and having a 36h/week timetable excluding personal work.

puntoycoma
I did both the French and the International Baccalaureate, and I would say that the latter is much harder.

puntoycoma
In the IB you have to take pretty much as many subjects as you do in the French system but the workload is much, much higher. I don't understand why the BAC is praised so much.

How come you took both? And well, it also depends on the section I suppose…

cactus_c
Actually no, even if it's a pretty common idea. French students have more subjects but still do the same content as british students.. So yeah we work more lol

:ditto:

madima
yes, but having fewer subjects allows you to go more in-depth. anyway, i would say chinese since chinese kids from year 10 can probably kick my ass at maths.

I wouldn't say we studied some subject less in-depth than you, but we deffo study a wider range.

motherofpearl
I too have heard that the French educational system is very, very hard.

Not *very very* hard, but deffo not really easy to go through. It depends on the section you chose, your abilities and quite a lot of luck I suppose.
Reply 50
Anatheme
How come you took both? And well, it also depends on the section I suppose…

The IB is only 2 years and I studied at a French lycee for almost all the time up till then...although maybe the last few years are much tougher.
I just felt that the difficulty of the French system came from the quantity of the subjects you have to take, not the intensity, but I might be wrong.
Reply 51
puntoycoma
The IB is only 2 years and I studied at a French lycee for almost all the time up till then...although maybe the last few years are much tougher.
I just felt that the difficulty of the French system came from the quantity of the subjects you have to take, not the intensity, but I might be wrong.

So you actually didn't study in Première and Terminale (were you in Seconde) ? Well, then I suppose you indeed miss the hardest part :wink:
And in the last two years, you have the quantity AND the intensity. I had a 4h exam every week, plus the weekly 36h of lessons, plus the personal work at home in 13 subjects. Now, I have no problem discussing about History with someone that took A-Levels or even the IB, we have the same level in general.
Reply 52
Angelil
And as far as France goes I'd say that the classes préparatoires are far more ridiculous than the bac (virtually everyone in France who takes the bac passes it).

True, but there's a huge difference between passing the bac and actually getting a good grade on it. Agreed on the prepas though.

puntoycoma

I did both the French and the International Baccalaureate, and I would say that the latter is much harder.

You can't compare say year 12 of IB with year 9 of french bac.

Anatheme
I don't know much about the others, but the French system pretty much killed me. Or at least having to sit 13 subjects and having a 36h/week timetable excluding personal work.

And 42h/w for those taking the OIB :woo: :shifty:
Reply 53
cactus_c
And 42h/w for those taking the OIB :woo: :shifty:

:colone:

I'm not bilingual though, so yeah, History in English was enough for me :h:
Reply 54
Japan, don't they have the highest Student sucide rate in the world?

Like i heard stories about students in exams commiting sucide, they look through the paper, and if they think they're going to fail. They can't take the shame, family dishounor or knowing they're going to end up with a rubbish job.
They put the pen up their noise in such a way, then slam their head on the table, thus pushing the pen into the brain and killing them. This true? Cause this scares me so much.
Reply 55
D'accord, d'accord, I concede :smile:
Reply 56
Nalced
Japan, don't they have the highest Student sucide rate in the world?

Like i heard stories about students in exams commiting sucide, they look through the paper, and if they think they're going to fail. They can't take the shame, family dishounor or knowing they're going to end up with a rubbish job.
They put the pen up their noise in such a way, then slam their head on the table, thus pushing the pen into the brain and killing them. This true? Cause this scares me so much.

Yeah, but that's because of the ******* lot of pressure they have to bear (vocab?). It's considered as a massive failure if you get anything wrong, so they actually take evening lessons after their school lessons and all. But they do have something crappy: their exams are just multiple-choice questions. So I'd say it's just cramming that you need to do, not proper reflexion like A-Levels or IB or else. Or so said my friend that went to Japan and has her sister living here. I may be wrong :colondollar:
Reply 57
puntoycoma
D'accord, d'accord, I concede :smile:

I read studies according to which we were the most stressed students in Europe, haha. But yeah, I quite like the fact that we have a wide range and all, but it seriously need to be revised, imo. Especially the coefficient system, ******** thing ever.
If not the Chinese system, then probably the South Korean system by the sounds of things. Aiaiai :s-smilie:
Reply 59
Anatheme
I read studies according to which we were the most stressed students in Europe, haha. But yeah, I quite like the fact that we have a wide range and all, but it seriously need to be revised, imo. Especially the coefficient system, ******** thing ever.

This really messed you up huh? :p:

Although I'll probably be as pissed, voir plus, when I get my results :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending