The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Should I go to the university of York for LLB Law?

Hi, I got an offer from York for LLB Law through Clearing, and I'm wondering whether I should accept it?

Because of Covid everything I had planned sort of fell apart, I'd originally applied to other unis including Oxford and the uni of Glasgow. I got an interview from Oxford but no offer, and an offer from Glasgow, which became my first choice. I had to meet certain English requirements for Glasgow (I'm not considered a native speaker even though English is my first language), and because of Covid and other complications I was not able to do so and didn't meet the conditions of my offer. I'm trying to work it out with Glasgow admissions but I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that it probably won't work out.

I applied to York through clearing and was accepted, so I'm wondering whether I should accept or wait a year and reapply to some "better ranked" unis (I don't really know much about York except for what's on their website but I've been told by some people the better decision would be to reapply next year and hopefully get accepted somewhere with a better ranking? but of course ranking isn't everything so I'm not sure what to do)? Looking for insight into the course and the university? Is it worth paying the international fees (about 18000 pounds/year) for York's LLB?

Thanks in advance:smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by heyitsj344
Hi, I got an offer from York for LLB Law through Clearing, and I'm wondering whether I should accept it?

Because of Covid everything I had planned sort of fell apart, I'd originally applied to other unis including Oxford and the uni of Glasgow. I got an interview from Oxford but no offer, and an offer from Glasgow, which became my first choice. I had to meet certain English requirements for Glasgow (I'm not considered a native speaker even though English is my first language), and because of Covid and other complications I was not able to do so and didn't meet the conditions of my offer. I'm trying to work it out with Glasgow admissions but I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that it probably won't work out.

I applied to York through clearing and was accepted, so I'm wondering whether I should accept or wait a year and reapply to some "better ranked" unis (I don't really know much about York except for what's on their website but I've been told by some people the better decision would be to reapply next year and hopefully get accepted somewhere with a better ranking? but of course ranking isn't everything so I'm not sure what to do)? Looking for insight into the course and the university? Is it worth paying the international fees (about 18000 pounds/year) for York's LLB?

Hi @heyitsj344,

Firstly, congratulations on your offer! This year has been so difficult, so I imagine it's not been much fun applying to uni. You are right, rankings aren't everything, as there are so many other factors. Does the course content interest you? Do you like the teaching, learning and assessment format? Do you think the course will give you good graduate opportunities? How about the location, is important to you that you are near a city or the countryside? Wherever you go to university, it's important that you have the best experience possible, and that you enjoy living and studying there.

I didn't study Law at York, but I had a fantastic three years studying another course. The campus has a really friendly atmosphere, and there's lots of wildlife and greenery, which makes it feel calming and a nice place to study. The city of York is beautiful, it has lots of medieval features and there's always lots going on, so there's a real buzz about the place. I really enjoyed living in York!

There are student blogs written by our Law students which might help to give an insight into studying here. You might find this one by Twiggy particularly relevant, as they are an international student studying Law at York. I think that although it's useful to hear lots of opinions and advice, only you know what's right for yourself, so I'm sure whatever you decide to do will work out!

I hope this helps, and best of luck with everything!

Hazel :smile:
Graduate Ambassador
University of York
York
Original post by heyitsj344

Firstly if you had the grades to get an interview at Oxford you're clearly a very capable person.
As you say York isn't the best uni for law.

1)What other universities did you apply to?
2) What are you predicted grades and what did you get on the LNAT (if you did it)?

"some people the better decision would be to reapply next year and hopefully get accepted somewhere with a better ranking?".

I definitely agree with them. The law uni rankings do change quite a lot on yearly rankings however from my research and hours spent looking at arguments on TSR. People say rankings don't matter too much however there must be a reasons people want to go to the higher ranked universities, whether that be reputation, access to networking events, teaching quality or future prospects. The rankings for law unis is (excluding Scottish unis because I didn't research them) (In each tier they are in the order I view them however I am probably very wrong in some cases):

Oxford and Cambridge

LSE, UCL, KCL (some people don't think KCL should not be here and be below)

Durham, Bristol, Nottingham, Warwick, Exeter, Manchester, Leeds
Reply 3
Hey, Im a current York law student. Any questions you have, feel free to ask.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Firstly if you had the grades to get an interview at Oxford you're clearly a very capable person.
As you say York isn't the best uni for law.

1)What other universities did you apply to?
2) What are you predicted grades and what did you get on the LNAT (if you did it)?

"some people the better decision would be to reapply next year and hopefully get accepted somewhere with a better ranking?".

I definitely agree with them. The law uni rankings do change quite a lot on yearly rankings however from my research and hours spent looking at arguments on TSR. People say rankings don't matter too much however there must be a reasons people want to go to the higher ranked universities, whether that be reputation, access to networking events, teaching quality or future prospects. The rankings for law unis is (excluding Scottish unis because I didn't research them) (In each tier they are in the order I view them however I am probably very wrong in some cases):

Oxford and Cambridge

LSE, UCL, KCL (some people don't think KCL should not be here and be below)

Durham, Bristol, Nottingham, Warwick, Exeter, Manchester, Leeds

Hi, thanks for replying!

I applied to Oxford, UCL, Glasgow, Leeds and Exeter. Got rejected by the first two and offers from the last three, but then didn't meet the conditions of my offer from Glasgow. Leeds was my insurance but I realised when it was too late to change my choices that the programme wasn't for me so it's no longer a university I'm considering.

I got 40 points in IB with 7766 in higher level. That's equivalent to about A*AA I think (not sure about this though). I got 26 in the LNAT.
Reply 5
Original post by Tinders

Hi!! How is the LLB in York? Is it worth it? And what about social life, clubs etc? Im confused between York and Sheffield
Reply 6
Original post by khu7575
Hi!! How is the LLB in York? Is it worth it? And what about social life, clubs etc? Im confused between York and Sheffield

So the LLB at york is taught via PBL. It is very student led. I really enjoy it because it's quite a hands on degree. You actually work to solve realistic legal problems, rather than sitting around with your heads buried in textbooks like my friends at other universities do. I would say it is definitely worth it if you are looking to practise law in the future. Not to mention the close relationship the law school has with big city firms such as Hogan Lovells, if that's your thing.

Regarding social life, it's a little bit meh compared to other places. York isn't exactly party central the way Leeds or Manchester is because it's so small. There are clubs and bars in York that are really fun to go to, but for a proper night out, lot's of people go to Leeds. Just 20 mins on the train. However at York everyone is so lovely, friendly and welcoming that no matter who you are, there will be a place for you.
Reply 7
Original post by Tinders

Hi there, I hope you are well!

I have recently applied to study Law at the University of York and I am hoping to get an offer. I was wondering how your application went and what grades did you have in your A-levels and GCSE. Do you think it's easy to get an offer as it is a very competitive course?

Thank you very much.
Reply 8
Original post by hiitsemi
Hi there, I hope you are well!

I have recently applied to study Law at the University of York and I am hoping to get an offer. I was wondering how your application went and what grades did you have in your A-levels and GCSE. Do you think it's easy to get an offer as it is a very competitive course?

Thank you very much.

So my a level predicted grades were A*AB
At GCSE I got 7AAABBBBCC

My application went really well. They do take a while to respond to it, so if you’ve been waiting a while don’t worry.

It’s definitely not the most difficult course to get onto but it’s not the easiest either. I was talking to the admissions tutor at my interview and he said they get around 1000 applicants and make about 400 offers. Most people get rejected at interview stage.
Reply 9
Original post by Tinders

hey, was wondering if you had to attend an interview before you were accepted? i’m considering it for my top choice for september but was wondering if it’s too much work, i want to do law but ive seen lots of people drop out or complain about the workload. i already live in york so im not worried about the nightlife, etc just the learning/subject part
Reply 10
Original post by rrryub
hey, was wondering if you had to attend an interview before you were accepted? i’m considering it for my top choice for september but was wondering if it’s too much work, i want to do law but ive seen lots of people drop out or complain about the workload. i already live in york so im not worried about the nightlife, etc just the learning/subject part

Yes, I had to attend an interview, but this was pre-covid so things might have changed, I would double check with the admissions office to be sure.

I found the workload to be similar compared to my friends at other unis. But with York, because it is very focused on you doing your own research, really you can do as much or in theory as little as you like.

I did about 12 hours per week on PBL research in first and second year. And about 2 hours per week on my other modules. I found this time balance worked for me and that I wasn't overworking myself, and still had plenty of time to go out and take weekends off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending