The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York Clearing 2023

Hi everyone!

We've created this post so you can ask us any questions you have about Clearing.

You can find lots of useful information on our website and also, sign up for email updates to find out more about York and get our latest vacancies.

So, how does Clearing work?
Each summer, universities advertise their courses that still have available places after International Baccalaureate (IB) results day and A level results day. If, at this stage, you're not holding an offer from any UK university, you can apply for a place through Clearing.

If you've already received a place, but no longer want to accept it, you can still apply for Clearing by declining your offer(s).

When does Clearing open?
Clearing runs in two stages.

From 5 July 2023, after IB results day, certain courses will be available to apply for through Clearing.

On 17 August 2023, A level results day, all courses with spaces available will open for applications.

Clearing closes when universities fill their remaining places. This is usually around September, though many courses fill up before then.

Is Clearing for you?
There are various reasons to apply through Clearing. You might be looking to change your subject or career path, or maybe your results aren't what you expected. In either case, don't panic no matter your situation, Clearing can open up exciting opportunities!

Hear from our Clearing students
Clearing can seem stressful. We know. To help put your mind at ease, we've asked our students to share how they found their Clearing place at York:

Just drop us a message or reply below if you have any questions - we’d love to help!

University of York Reps :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by University of York
Hi everyone!

We've created this post so you can ask us any questions you have about Clearing.

You can find lots of useful information on our website and also, sign up for email updates to find out more about York and get our latest vacancies.

Each summer, universities advertise their courses that still have available places after International Baccalaureate (IB) results day and A level results day. If, at this stage, you're not holding an offer from any UK university, you can apply for a place through Clearing.

If you've already received a place, but no longer want to accept it, you can still apply for Clearing by declining your offer(s).

When does Clearing open?

From 5 July 2023, after IB results day, certain courses will be available to apply for through Clearing.

On 17 August 2023, A level results day, all courses with spaces available will open for applications.

Clearing closes when universities fill their remaining places. This is usually around September, though many courses fill up before then.

Is Clearing for you?
There are various reasons to apply through Clearing. You might be looking to change your subject or career path, or maybe your results aren't what you expected. In either case, don't panic no matter your situation, Clearing can open up exciting opportunities!

Clearing can seem stressful. We know. To help put your mind at ease, we've asked our students to share how they found their Clearing place at York:

Just drop us a message or reply below if you have any questions - we’d love to help!

Hello, just wanted to ask a question, I'm holding an offer from you guys for economics but was wondering if i can't achieve your grades( AAB) will I still be able to call you on Clearing day?
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by Matinb
Hello, just wanted to ask a question, I'm holding an offer from you guys for economics but was wondering if i can't achieve your grades( AAB) will I still be able to call you on Clearing day?

Just wanted to correct something you gave me a conditional offer of ABB instead of typical offer AAB. Will I still be eligible to call you on Clearing day?
Original post by Matinb
Just wanted to correct something you gave me a conditional offer of ABB instead of typical offer AAB. Will I still be eligible to call you on Clearing day?

Hi,

The first thing you should do on A Level results day is check your UCAS Hub to see whether your place has been confirmed.

UCAS Hub won't show your A Level results but you may be accepted on to your course even if you have missed the conditions of your offer slightly, as all applicants who have missed their conditions will be reviewed by the relevant department and a decision will be confirmed via UCAS Hub.

If your place has not been confirmed at your firm or insurance choice, you will be eligible to look for a place through Clearing. If this is the case, then you may wish to call us or other universities to see if there are places available on an alternative course through Clearing.

I hope this helps!

Hazel :smile:
Reply 4
Hi,

The first thing you should do on A Level results day is check your UCAS Hub to see whether your place has been confirmed.

UCAS Hub won't show your A Level results but you may be accepted on to your course even if you have missed the conditions of your offer slightly, as all applicants who have missed their conditions will be reviewed by the relevant department and a decision will be confirmed via UCAS Hub.

If your place has not been confirmed at your firm or insurance choice, you will be eligible to look for a place through Clearing. If this is the case, then you may wish to call us or other universities to see if there are places available on an alternative course through Clearing.

I hope this helps!

Thank you so much for replying so quickly, that's absolutely understandable.Thank you.
Reply 5
Hello, I completed my A Levels last summer achieving A*A*A*, I was wondering how likely it would be to get a place on the Philosophy with Languages and Cultures (Spanish) course this year through clearing? Thankyou 😁
Original post by Beccaaaaa27
Hello, I completed my A Levels last summer achieving A*A*A*, I was wondering how likely it would be to get a place on the Philosophy with Languages and Cultures (Spanish) course this year through clearing? Thankyou 😁

Hi there,

You can submit a late application through UCAS now, as this course is still accepting applications. The deadline to submit an application is 30 June when the main UCAS scheme closes. We do not know at this point if it will be open in Clearing, but our vacancies will be published on our website on 5 July.

I hope this helps :smile:
Helen
Our Clearing vacancies are now live! If you’ve got your results you can apply online now for September 2023: https://bit.ly/3XH1Ubs

Waiting for your results? Sign up for Clearing alerts and be the first to know about our vacancies on A Level results day: https://bit.ly/3Jo44H1

Got any questions? Send us a message in this thread - we're happy to help!
Reply 8
Our Clearing vacancies are now live! If you’ve got your results you can apply online now for September 2023: https://bit.ly/3XH1Ubs

Waiting for your results? Sign up for Clearing alerts and be the first to know about our vacancies on A Level results day: https://bit.ly/3Jo44H1

Got any questions? Send us a message in this thread - we're happy to help!

Hello there, I am currently holding an offer for a place studying mathematics at York and was wondering whether there would be any point applying for other maths related courses at York through clearing if I were to miss my entry requirements or would I be outright rejected? Thank you very much for your help
Original post by HonestDeji
Hello there, I am currently holding an offer for a place studying mathematics at York and was wondering whether there would be any point applying for other maths related courses at York through clearing if I were to miss my entry requirements or would I be outright rejected? Thank you very much for your help

Hi,

You will have options even if you miss your original entry requirements. You may be accepted on to your course even if you have missed the conditions of your offer slightly, as all applicants who have missed their conditions will be reviewed by the relevant department and a decision will be confirmed via UCAS Hub.

On A Level results day, if you find out that your place has not been confirmed, you will be eligible to look for a place through Clearing. You can then look through all of our vacancies to see if there is a place on a Mathematics related course. You can sign up for Clearing alerts now to be the first to know about what's available.

When Clearing opens, we will make clear the specific entry requirements for each course. So when you have your grades, you can explore the course vacancies and see if you meet the entry requirements and if so, you can call us up and apply.

I hope this helps!

Hazel
Hi,

You will have options even if you miss your original entry requirements. You may be accepted on to your course even if you have missed the conditions of your offer slightly, as all applicants who have missed their conditions will be reviewed by the relevant department and a decision will be confirmed via UCAS Hub.

On A Level results day, if you find out that your place has not been confirmed, you will be eligible to look for a place through Clearing. You can then look through all of our vacancies to see if there is a place on a Mathematics related course. You can sign up for Clearing alerts now to be the first to know about what's available.

When Clearing opens, we will make clear the specific entry requirements for each course. So when you have your grades, you can explore the course vacancies and see if you meet the entry requirements and if so, you can call us up and apply.

I hope this helps!

Hazel

Thank you 🙏
Thank you 🙏

No problem, best of luck on results day!!
No problem, best of luck on results day!!

Good afternoon, thank you for the swift response to my previous question but I was also wondering whether results which are equal in UCAS points e.g. A*AB and AAA are sufficient when applying through clearing or whether they are reviewed individually. For example, if a course specified it needed ABB, would AAC be instantly rejected/accepted or would it be reviewed by a member of department? Thank you for your time and help on previous queries
Good afternoon, thank you for the swift response to my previous question but I was also wondering whether results which are equal in UCAS points e.g. A*AB and AAA are sufficient when applying through clearing or whether they are reviewed individually. For example, if a course specified it needed ABB, would AAC be instantly rejected/accepted or would it be reviewed by a member of department? Thank you for your time and help on previous queries

Sorry, this was worded quite poorly, what I mean to ask is it worth applying for a course through clearing if I have AAC and the entry requirements are ABB for example or would this be rejected instantly? Thank you,
Sorry, this was worded quite poorly, what I mean to ask is it worth applying for a course through clearing if I have AAC and the entry requirements are ABB for example or would this be rejected instantly? Thank you,

Hi,

Each department handles Clearing differently and will have different requirements when it comes to applications. There may be wiggle room with your grades if you have the right UCAS points, especially if you have an A in Maths but it all depends on how many spaces the department have left and other factors. I can't confirm anything but I do think it would be worth calling the Clearing hotline in this scenario.

Hi, what about accommodation for clearing students? Do u also get guaranteed accommodation place if u get an offer through clearing?
Reply 16
Hi everyone!

When does Clearing open?

Is Clearing for you?

Hi, I am an offer holder for York. If on results day I am rejected, can I ring and appeal for a place still for the same course and if so should that be through clearing line or should I call a different number e.g for offer holders
Hi all,

Our Clearing hotline is now open!

Hotline opening times:

Thursday 17 August: 8am to 6pm BST
Friday 18 August: 8am to 5pm BST

We have limited Clearing places available, so search our vacancies and call now to apply +44 (0) 1904 234868.

When you call we’ll ask for your exam results, and your ten-digit UCAS ID, which you can find on UCAS Hub. We might need to call you back, so it’s useful to provide a number we can contact you on.

Please be aware that we can only make offers to students directly not via a parent or supporter.

If you have any questions about Clearing, send us a message - we’re happy to help!

Best of luck!
Reply 18
Hello, do you have any information about the places for home students that may still be available from the website. As it only states that there are numbers available for international and foreign students

Thanks very much.
Hi @BUNNYXO,
Hope you're well.
Unfortunately we have now filled all of our places for home students and we only have a small number of places left available for international students.
Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending