The Student Room Group

LSE or KCL for Psychology?

Hi guys,

I have gotten offers from LSE (Psychological and Behavioural Science) and KCL (Psychology) and am unsure which one to pick due to the slightly different focus of both courses.

I have looked at both courses and like the LSE course more. To my understanding, LSE leans heavier towards social psychology and behavioural science. However, the website does not mention any clinical psychology modules or access to research facilities (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not sure if I'm navigating the website correctly). Meanwhile, KCL is more science-heavy and has a broader range of biological modules and access to research machinery like neuroimaging.

Therefore, I am unsure which course to choose and would appreciate any advice. I definitely aim to do a Master's (or beyond) and pursue a career in clinical psychology, occupational psychology or academic research. Which course would allow for broader learning and career opportunities? Would the LSE course close any doors if I were to apply for clinical psychology or a more science-heavy psychology at Master's, and which university is better for psychology in general (or which areas of psychology specifically)?

Thank you!
Also had the same dilemma, I’m going to the offer holder day for psychology at lse on wednesday that might be the best thing for you to do. There’s a Kings one on the 13th of May for psychology too.

I think if you’re leaning towards clinical psychology Kings is much better as it also has a year in placement and experience is usually needed (plus they have a hospital next to them). LSE has extra modules about the economics and more business side of psychology however it is still bps-accredited so it will still cover all the biological aspects and will get you into any field of psychology like Kings. Let me know what you decide, I’m still stuck myself:smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Hi, glad to have someone on the same boat and I appreciate the advice! :smile: I'm an international student so I can't attend the offer holder day; lmk how it goes tho! Do you know if there's any opportunity to learn about clinical psych at LSE? As I couldn't find it on their modules list but I could be wrong. I also didn't apply for the placement year at King's - if I do end up going would it be easy to transfer?
Original post by student2409
Also had the same dilemma, I’m going to the offer holder day for psychology at lse on wednesday that might be the best thing for you to do. There’s a Kings one on the 13th of May for psychology too.

I think if you’re leaning towards clinical psychology Kings is much better as it also has a year in placement and experience is usually needed (plus they have a hospital next to them). LSE has extra modules about the economics and more business side of psychology however it is still bps-accredited so it will still cover all the biological aspects and will get you into any field of psychology like Kings. Let me know what you decide, I’m still stuck myself:smile:
Original post by hurray800
Hi, glad to have someone on the same boat and I appreciate the advice! :smile: I'm an international student so I can't attend the offer holder day; lmk how it goes tho! Do you know if there's any opportunity to learn about clinical psych at LSE? As I couldn't find it on their modules list but I could be wrong. I also didn't apply for the placement year at King's - if I do end up going would it be easy to transfer?

Ah that’s annoying, I’ll make sure to let you know how they go! From what I’ve heard you can request to transfer into a placement year but even without one there will be placements for summer or between terms that can probably be done at the hospital next to KCL.

I also don’t seem to find any modules on clinical psychology for LSE, although biological psychology does deal with ways of using it in real life so I assume there will be some mention. Plus I’m sure for the research project for year 3 you can pick what you want, but yeah I think KCL is definitely better for clinical psychology.

Quick Reply

Latest