The Student Room Group

Retake the year or not

I’m currently in my second year at university. Throughout the whole year, I had numerous health issues and hospital appointments. I struggled with attending university but managed to pass the first semester through having group projects (I would try to keep on top of it because I didn’t want them to fail because of me).

This semester, I’ve barely attended. And now that I’m medically mostly reaching the all-clear (for now), I’ve had the time to realise the magnitude of what I’ve missed. And I’ve realised over the last week that I’ve actually mentally checked out of university. I can catch up and get passing grades on my work, but I know I’m capable of better. I also have to do a piece of work in the summer & an exam.

On top of this, I‘ve struggled with financial issues this year and also had my benefits stopped, which has led to a time-consuming appeal process which is still ongoing. I really want a break from it all but I never seem to get it.

I have the option to redo the year. However, my parents are against this, and the person I meet up with weekly at university initially tried to say I could finish this year etc (because I had similar last year and still passed) until I finally told them how far I was behind. My friends argue it’s an extra loan, but I know I’m never going to pay it off anyway.

I have a meeting at some point in the next two weeks with my programme leader to discuss my options, which means I have until then to kind of make a decision.

If retake the year, I will manage to have a break/ sort things out in my life, I won’t have to progress into final year when I really don’t feel like I am ready, I will have a better chance at getting better grades. I will have a chance at being able to find a placement.
If I don’t retake the year and continue on, I will have less debt, I won’t have to delay my career by another year (I am already 23), I won’t have to explain on my CV why I was at university an extra year.

Could anyone give me some advice on what they think I should do? I am really stumped and this itself is stressing me out.

Thankyou so much in advance!
What course is it?
Hey!
It sounds like you've been going through a lot this year, and I'm sorry to hear that. It's great that you're taking the time to assess your situation and figure out what your best options are.

First of all, I want to say that it's important to prioritize your health and well-being. If you feel like you need a break, it's okay to take one. It's better to take a step back and focus on getting yourself back on track than to push yourself too hard and risk burning out.

Regarding retaking the year, it's definitely a big decision to make. It's important to consider all the pros and cons and weigh them against each other. On one hand, retaking the year could give you the chance to catch up on what you missed, improve your grades, and have a better shot at finding a placement. On the other hand, it would mean delaying your career by another year and potentially having to explain why you took an extra year on your CV.

Ultimately, the decision is yours to make, but I would recommend talking to your programme leader and getting their input. They can provide you with more information on what retaking the year would entail and what your options are. It's also a good idea to talk to other students who have retaken a year and get their perspective on the experience.

I hope this helps, and please remember to take care of yourself first and foremost. Best of luck with whatever decision you make!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
Original post by Kiieechii
I’m currently in my second year at university. Throughout the whole year, I had numerous health issues and hospital appointments. I struggled with attending university but managed to pass the first semester through having group projects (I would try to keep on top of it because I didn’t want them to fail because of me).

This semester, I’ve barely attended. And now that I’m medically mostly reaching the all-clear (for now), I’ve had the time to realise the magnitude of what I’ve missed. And I’ve realised over the last week that I’ve actually mentally checked out of university. I can catch up and get passing grades on my work, but I know I’m capable of better. I also have to do a piece of work in the summer & an exam.

On top of this, I‘ve struggled with financial issues this year and also had my benefits stopped, which has led to a time-consuming appeal process which is still ongoing. I really want a break from it all but I never seem to get it.

I have the option to redo the year. However, my parents are against this, and the person I meet up with weekly at university initially tried to say I could finish this year etc (because I had similar last year and still passed) until I finally told them how far I was behind. My friends argue it’s an extra loan, but I know I’m never going to pay it off anyway.

I have a meeting at some point in the next two weeks with my programme leader to discuss my options, which means I have until then to kind of make a decision.

If retake the year, I will manage to have a break/ sort things out in my life, I won’t have to progress into final year when I really don’t feel like I am ready, I will have a better chance at getting better grades. I will have a chance at being able to find a placement.
If I don’t retake the year and continue on, I will have less debt, I won’t have to delay my career by another year (I am already 23), I won’t have to explain on my CV why I was at university an extra year.

Could anyone give me some advice on what they think I should do? I am really stumped and this itself is stressing me out.

Thankyou so much in advance!

Hi there,

Some great advice has been given already, but I’ll add my thoughts too in case they help.

Usually, I would recommend making a pros and cons list for each option, but looks like you already did that! But remember, the number of pros and the number of cons doesn’t mean anything if one is a major dealbreaker for you.

Your physical health is so important right now, and always. Taking care of your physical health, and being unwell, can take a massive toll on your mental health too. You likely missed a lot of social time and had additional stress due to hospital visits etc. You said you could push yourself to catch up and get passing grades, but is that going to mean losing more time for self-care, friends, and hobbies? Perhaps speaking to your parents about the impact that pushing yourself right now could have both on your physical and mental health would be helpful.
But do also consider that starting the year over would mean joining a different class group, and possibly distancing yourself from your current support network within your class. While of course you wouldn’t be cut off completely, I know that I wouldn’t have stayed sane at all during my undergrad if I didn’t have a friend group going through the same things as me at the same time. You can definitely make new friends too, but it is something to consider.
If you have the option, speaking to a mental health professional (often provided for free by your university) may help understand the effect each option could have.

Financially, you seem to be ok with the loan repayment options you have worked out. If you put realistic estimates of your salary, and base repayment rates on that, perhaps your parents would be happier to see real numbers that align (or almost) rather than just an assurance it will be ok.
You can also bring in the argument here that having done a good placement and potentially better grades could mean that finding a job is easier.

As for explaining why you took an extra year to finish, this is likely only going to be something asked at your first job (since you will have no experience). IF they ask (and it is quite a big if) you can just state that you had to take time off due to health issues. I can’t count how many people I know who have done this (granted I have been at uni for over 6 years now but still), so you won’t be alone in that.
As for being older starting your career, you’re not “already” 23, you’re “only” 23. Not only is ag e a protected characteristics under the Equality Act, but a few years is nearly nothing to most people. Some people take a year out to travel, others have family issues. Some make career changes after 10 years of working in an industry, others go part time. The longer you work in any company or group, or even stay in academia like I have (as a PhD student), the more you see that although there are ‘typical’ ways of doing things (going to uni at 18, getting a degree at 21, going straight into a job in your field) might not be as common as you think.

The same options are not going to suit everyone, and I can’t say I have personally experienced this, but I hope my thoughts have helped a bit!
Best of luck with your decision,
Ciara
3rd year Agrifood PhD student
Cranfield Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending