The Student Room Group

Failed one resit module

Hello studying computer science and needed some advice.

I failed four modules in part 1, retook them all and passed three except for my programming one. But this module is needed for progression to part 2. Is there anything that I can do know?

I know I can do much better, and I’d even retake the whole year if I have to. Will they just kick me out now?
Original post by Anonymous

I failed four modules in part 1, retook them all and passed three except for my programming one. But this module is needed for progression to part 2. Is there anything that I can do know?

I know I can do much better, and I’d even retake the whole year if I have to. Will they just kick me out now?

Hi there,

I would suggest speaking to maybe course leader as they would filter through the UCAS applications, approve and take on students for the course.
Don't think they would be that drastic and kick you out - but you will never know unless you ask.

Why not get in touch with your uni and see if they have a student handbook.
I'm sure there's others in your situation, in the handbook- it should tell you what actions they take if a student fails for instance 15 or 30 credits even after retaking.
You theoretically should have up to 2/3 retakes for the failed module, which might be capped at 40%, unless your uni states otherwise.

Well done for passing the other three!!!
Do you know why you have failed the programming one? identify the areas you need more help on and hope you pass next time x

Best Wishes,

Can't say for certain because no-one knows the exact regulations for your course, but a failed referred assessment is usually dealt with by re-enrolment in that module in the following academic year. This means you'll be taking only the failed module in AY2022/23 and, if you pass it, you can progress to the next stage of your degree.

You have a 'gift year' in student finance for eventualities such as these, so as long as you haven't already used it, you should be fine to use the gift year for this 'retake' year.

Check with your tutor or programme leader as to your status code in this failed module and what can be done to remedy it.
Hi there,

I would suggest speaking to maybe course leader as they would filter through the UCAS applications, approve and take on students for the course.
Don't think they would be that drastic and kick you out - but you will never know unless you ask.

Why not get in touch with your uni and see if they have a student handbook.
I'm sure there's others in your situation, in the handbook- it should tell you what actions they take if a student fails for instance 15 or 30 credits even after retaking.
You theoretically should have up to 2/3 retakes for the failed module, which might be capped at 40%, unless your uni states otherwise.

Well done for passing the other three!!!
Do you know why you have failed the programming one? identify the areas you need more help on and hope you pass next time x

Best Wishes,

Thank you so much for your advice!!

I had only emailed my tutor but I will now email the course leader. And I really hope not as I absolutely love my degree but I really didn’t put enough time into this module, which was why I had failed. I’ll definitely look at the handbook though. Thanks a bunch!
Original post by Reality Check
Can't say for certain because no-one knows the exact regulations for your course, but a failed referred assessment is usually dealt with by re-enrolment in that module in the following academic year. This means you'll be taking only the failed module in AY2022/23 and, if you pass it, you can progress to the next stage of your degree.

You have a 'gift year' in student finance for eventualities such as these, so as long as you haven't already used it, you should be fine to use the gift year for this 'retake' year.

Check with your tutor or programme leader as to your status code in this failed module and what can be done to remedy it.

Hi thank you for your advice!

Do universities often allow retake years, because I’d much rather do that take a second shot at the whole year and try much harder than just do the one module?

Unfortunately, my tutor is on leave for the next week so I’m waiting to hear back from student support and my course leader but thanks again for your advice.
Hi thank you for your advice!

Do universities often allow retake years, because I’d much rather do that take a second shot at the whole year and try much harder than just do the one module?

Unfortunately, my tutor is on leave for the next week so I’m waiting to hear back from student support and my course leader but thanks again for your advice.

No problem :smile:

The university is unlikely to allow you to retake the year because you've now passed three of the four referred modules. To allow you to take the whole year again would essentially be allowing you to have two bites at the cherry, which would be unfair on other students. The general rule is that you cannot be a candidate again for a module which you have studied and passed.
Thank you so much for your advice!!

I had only emailed my tutor but I will now email the course leader. And I really hope not as I absolutely love my degree but I really didn’t put enough time into this module, which was why I had failed. I’ll definitely look at the handbook though. Thanks a bunch!

Hi,

No worries - glad my advice is of any help. : )

Best of luck with your studies !

Wishes,
Hi, I know that this message is extremely late but kindly update me on what happened in the end as I am in a similar situation.
Did you re-take the whole year or just the modules?
Were you able to progress on to Year 2?
What did your course leader and tutor say?
Thank you.
Reply 8
Hi, I know that this message is extremely late but kindly update me on what happened in the end as I am in a similar situation.
Thank you.

What happened to them will not necessarily happen to you.

You need to talk to your academic advisor/personal tutor as a matter of priority about the potential outcomes for you.
Reply 9
Thank you.

Hi.

Had to suspend the year in order to retake the one module as I had been granted a DNS due to exceptional circumstances. Resat the module in May 2023 and passed at third attempt which means I’ll be going into year 2 this year.

Depending on the university you may not be given the chance to retake the year or even a third attempt. I was always under the impression that you’ll always be given the option retake the year but that wasn’t the case for me until I had proven exceptional circumstances.

Good luck to you, hope everything works out!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending