The Student Room Group

I failed 2 modules in First Year

I have just got my assignments feedback for my semester 2 modules. I failed 2 of them and I'm freaking out so much. Because I failed both of those modules, I haven't got the reassessment brief but I am going on holiday in August. Does that mean I have to scrap the holidays plan? I feel like giving up uni so badly. I always have to retake. I did one in Foundation year a programming module and a Mathematics module passed. I did a retake in semester 1 in Year 1 another programming module passed that. Now in semester 2, another mathematics one and a website development I failed. Now I need to retake them over the summer. It is so annoying. Can anyone help?
Reply 1
You might need to scrap the holiday, yes - but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Students are usually directed to keep the examination resit period free in case this happens. Check with your department or academic advisor about the dates of the resit period. You might get away with the holiday if it is towards the front end of August. resits usually span the final week of Aug and the first week of Sept.
Reply 2
Original post by gjd800
You might need to scrap the holiday, yes - but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Students are usually directed to keep the examination resit period free in case this happens. Check with your department or academic advisor about the dates of the resit period. You might get away with the holiday if it is towards the front end of August. resits usually span the final week of Aug and the first week of Sept.

So. I'm going on holiday on August 18th and I reckon if I start early the reassements like as soon it as goes live, maybe there might be a chance that i will pass? And still go holiday because I remember that when I did the reassement in Foundation year I submitted it, a month before it was actually due and i was quote pleased about that however that was Foundation Year not First year so it was easy in my opinion, I don't think that is how it is with Year 1. Am I correct? So if I start the assignment early instead of leaving it last minute like I always do maybe I might get a chance?
Original post by Basil_1822
So. I'm going on holiday on August 18th and I reckon if I start early the reassements like as soon it as goes live, maybe there might be a chance that i will pass? And still go holiday because I remember that when I did the reassement in Foundation year I submitted it, a month before it was actually due and i was quote pleased about that however that was Foundation Year not First year so it was easy in my opinion, I don't think that is how it is with Year 1. Am I correct? So if I start the assignment early instead of leaving it last minute like I always do maybe I might get a chance?

Resits are sometimes in July - check on the calendar.
Reply 4

I think this all seems reasonable, yes. Do you know in advance what the questions will be?
Reply 5
Original post by gjd800
I think this all seems reasonable, yes. Do you know in advance what the questions will be?

It's more of a retake of an assignment. Because in my university I don't have to do exams. I have to do coursework modules and the ones I failed were a coursework component and hopefully it would be easier.
Reply 6
It's more of a retake of an assignment. Because in my university I don't have to do exams. I have to do coursework modules and the ones I failed were a coursework component and hopefully it would be easier.

Ah, I see - then this is good news! Do you know where things went wrong for you? If you have an idea of where the issues were then it should be pretty straightforward to correct it, and hopefully it won't impact your hols at all.
Reply 7
Original post by gjd800
Ah, I see - then this is good news! Do you know where things went wrong for you? If you have an idea of where the issues were then it should be pretty straightforward to correct it, and hopefully it won't impact your hols at all.

Yeah for mathematics I wasn't using critical analysis enough which made me drop marks and for Web Development I struggled with Using different coding techniques such as CSS, HTML, PHP, MYSQL, etc I only used HTML and CSS which was not enough
I have just got my assignments feedback for my semester 2 modules. I failed 2 of them and I'm freaking out so much. Because I failed both of those modules, I haven't got the reassessment brief but I am going on holiday in August. Does that mean I have to scrap the holidays plan? I feel like giving up uni so badly. I always have to retake. I did one in Foundation year a programming module and a Mathematics module passed. I did a retake in semester 1 in Year 1 another programming module passed that. Now in semester 2, another mathematics one and a website development I failed. Now I need to retake them over the summer. It is so annoying. Can anyone help?

hi just wondering how you have got on after this? im in my foundation year too an im worried i might have failed 1 whole module or maybe even two and i dont know what to expect. do you think ill be allowed to resit? or will i fail and have to take the year again? my work was also coursework no exams.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
hi just wondering how you have got on after this? im in my foundation year too an im worried i might have failed 1 whole module or maybe even two and i dont know what to expect. do you think ill be allowed to resit? or will i fail and have to take the year again? my work was also coursework no exams.

Hey there, I managed to pass one of the modules successfully however failed the other one, I will be retaking it one last time in Semester 2 and so all is fine at the moment. Depending on your university, they might let you retake it once more in full in your next year.

Hope this helps
Hi, congratulations and well done. If I may ask, what uni are you in? This is because I am in a similar situation that I hope to get out of soon and be able to resume my studies this upcoming academic year.

Thank you.
Were you also able to only retake your failed assignments or the whole module again?
And did you progress from year 1 to year 2?
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous
Were you also able to only retake your failed assignments or the whole module again?
And did you progress from year 1 to year 2?

Yes I went from first year to 2nd year and I did my Web Development there and smashed it and got 40. If you have failed 2 modules then you should be able to retake it once more, if you fail that you need to do all the lectures all over again and I'm at University of Gloucestershire

Hope it helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending