The Student Room Group

Dropping out of college

I'm doing Level 3 btec public services and I just don't enjoy the course, the people are annoying, the workload is exhausting on top of my part time job and other activities which I enjoy doing more, its a 2 year course and I don't feel like continuing, would it be responsible to just drop out and ask for more hours at my job?
No do not drop out u need more qualifications than just gcses and I’m sure u don’t want to be working ur part time job forever. U get 3 years funding so either change course in September or suck it up for another year. Even if u don’t want a related career atleast u have a qualification to do something with. u can’t enjoy everything u need to prioritise ur education
Reply 2
Original post by joech06
I'm doing Level 3 btec public services and I just don't enjoy the course, the people are annoying, the workload is exhausting on top of my part time job and other activities which I enjoy doing more, its a 2 year course and I don't feel like continuing, would it be responsible to just drop out and ask for more hours at my job?

I am doing the same course and some of my friends are dropping out, you will get 1 A level out of it so its not the worst option, but then my friends are going onto either apprenticeships or doing another course meaning they will probably be fine in the work place. I am continuing for my second year because I have really enjoyed it. I would say are you planning for a public services job? because if so I would recommend pushing through and completing it. If not I think its fine to drop out with one A level BTEC grade and take up more hours in your job, after all you have passed leaving school age so if you are planning the route of job you are working in or something a like, go for it. Just be proud of yourself for completing one year if you do decide to leave, I know its a hard course (there have been a lot of people drop out in the first term because they though it would easy, not saying that about you) but yeah in the end its up to you. Do what you think is best even if others frown upon it. Good luck in your decision and remember its okay to do things that others don't agree with!
Hope that helps!
Original post by joech06

Arent you meant to stay in education until you are 18?
Id stick it out until the end of the school year. In the meantime apply for another course or an apprenticeship.
Reply 4
Original post by Emma:-)
Arent you meant to stay in education until you are 18?
Id stick it out until the end of the school year. In the meantime apply for another course or an apprenticeship.

Pretty sure if you get a full time job or do an apprenticeship as you mentioned you don't have to stay in education. This is because it says compulsory education is up to 16 so I don't know, maybe your right never really looked into it as it's not a problem for me personally.
Reply 5
Original post by joech06

Wait - I think I was on Level 3 Public Services with you. Your username reminds me of someone I was on it w/ before I got kicked out for attendance. Had same experience exactly - class had a ridiculously toxic atmosphere, and you'd end up working twice as hard as someone doing A Levels for a qual that was barely worth it. Would end up doing 8hrs more a week than someone doing a full workload at the other big college (inc EPQ), stuck about doing work that kids could do and yet receiving **** grades for what is objectively good work.

If you are at the place I reckon you're at 100 percent it is not worth staying - the qual is worth essentially nothing in the real job world and most unis don't even see it as decent. It's a good course for fitness etc but if you're not 100 percent certain you will be a police officer / soldier, it is useless.

If you do want to do something to get into uni etc, it's a decent idea to switch to another college and try to get some A Levels. If you're not bothered, then you're totally fine to pick up more hours.

Another option would be to drop out, work for a bit, and take an Access course at 19 or so if you do end up wanting to go to uni or whatever - they're seen as FAR more valuable than a L3 in UPS is, are less work, and only take a year plus work around work and other commitments.

edit: even if you do want to join the armed forces/police - you can totally still just train up in your own time and make a bit of cash whilst you do. you only need UCAS points if you want to be an officer / PCDA or something like that for police. but there's really no point if you're self-motivated enough to actually train - IMO, get the cash from working, have a think about an access course if you end up wanting to do uni or whatever, or join up if you want to.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending