The Student Room Group

Can I take a year off and restart year 12

I’m currently in year 12 at a grammar school as I got a total of 56 points in my top 8 subjects and got pushed by my family into continuing into year 12. However, I’ve come to realise that I have no motivation to learn whatsoever and in consequence ended up getting horrible results so far. Is it possible to drop out of 6th form and work on myself to build back up my confidence, ambition and motivation while earning some money and then restart in the following year at a different school (perhaps private) with a fresh mind and different choices.
Original post by Zaxkkkkkk
I’m currently in year 12 at a grammar school as I got a total of 56 points in my top 8 subjects and got pushed by my family into continuing into year 12. However, I’ve come to realise that I have no motivation to learn whatsoever and in consequence ended up getting horrible results so far. Is it possible to drop out of 6th form and work on myself to build back up my confidence, ambition and motivation while earning some money and then restart in the following year at a different school (perhaps private) with a fresh mind and different choices.

Hey! I dropped out of year 12, and ended up going to my local college instead to do a few vocational courses which I definitely preferred as sixth form was just constant state of stress and I didn't really like the environment 🙂 (I'm now in my final year of uni).

It might be worth having a look into vocational courses or apprenticeships at your local college to see if any interest you 🙂 You can still work alongside these but you'll get a qualification out of it as well :thumbsup:. Its important to know you only get funded education up to the age of 19.

Also many of the vocational courses at college are more coursework based and more practical so may be more suited if you're not keen on exams.

https://educationhub.blog.gov.uk/2024/01/11/school-leaving-age-can-you-leave-school-at-16-and-what-are-your-options/
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Zaxkkkkkk

It definitely is! I haven’t gone to private so I know if you didn’t they will only pay for your education until your 19th birth year.

I chose terrible subjects and felt like absolute sh*t at college, i dropped out and restarted y12 that coming september and it was probably the best thing i’ve done. I’ve been able to focus better and motivate myself more so, if I didn’t, I doubt I would even be applying to universities right now as my results back then were awful.

Quick Reply

Latest