The Student Room Group

London Sixth Forms

Hi, so I'm in year 11 and I'm applying to sixth forms. I just wanted to know which schools in London are genuinely good. I'm predicted all 8s and 9s. I want to study English literature, politics, philosophy, and psychology, or subjects like that. I did the Harris Westminster entrance exam and didn't get in. The other schools I'm considering are LAE Stratford, NCS, Woodhouse College, Brampton Manor, and Camden Girls.

So my question is: if you go to any of these, what is it like? And are there any other good schools that I'm not considering?

Thank you!!
Reply 1
Original post by jackkerouwack
Hi, so I'm in year 11 and I'm applying to sixth forms. I just wanted to know which schools in London are genuinely good. I'm predicted all 8s and 9s. I want to study English literature, politics, philosophy, and psychology, or subjects like that. I did the Harris Westminster entrance exam and didn't get in. The other schools I'm considering are LAE Stratford, NCS, Woodhouse College, Brampton Manor, and Camden Girls.

So my question is: if you go to any of these, what is it like? And are there any other good schools that I'm not considering?

Thank you!!

Hey, I'm predicted 7,8,9. I also did the Harris Westminster extrance exam in Jan 2024. I didn't get in either but I've applied for some good sixth forms bc I want to study Spanish, French, English Lit and sociology. I applied for:

Henrietta Barnet

Camden school for girls

Woodhouse college

Pimlico academy

Ashmole Academy (my school for backup)

Queen Elizabeths girls school

Gonna apply for Brampton maybe and

My top sixth form has to be Camden, tho. It's such a good location and I really liked the look of it when I went to the open day. I find out if I got in on March 28th
Reply 2

Thank you!!

Okay what??? How did you not pass the Harris Westminster Entrance Exam?? You're predicted all 9/8s!! The tests were so easyy😭😭
Original post by Kichen35
Okay what??? How did you not pass the Harris Westminster Entrance Exam?? You're predicted all 9/8s!! The tests were so easyy😭😭

Honestly, I found the spanish and french ones (although I get 9s in languages as I love them) so insanely difficult! But yeah im not too gutted about it, I find out if i get into Camden sfg tomorrow..
Thank you!!

Im in year 12 and im currently studying religious studies, politics, history and english lit at Brampton. To sum it up, I honestly love it here. However i won't be bias and i'll give u the pros and cons.

Pros:

The teachers are really nice and will give you all the help needed if you ask

The food is really good imo

The study centre is an amazing place to revise in

AIR CONDITIONING is heaven especially in the summer

The support for work experience and university application is really really good (the core reasons why we get a lot of oxbridge offers)

Even if you dont want to go to university we have lots of partnership with renowned businesses (Simmons and Simmons, NHS, HSBC, Sky Tv, and soo much more), so you can always get support if you want to go for degree apprenticeships

The teachers KNOW their stuff, teachers at bma are mostly ppl who got a phd or masters in the subject.

It's really easy to make friends (lots of social events)

Cons:

Food prices are a bit inflated (a 60p cookie went to £1)

It is VERY fast paced, so you might get a bit overwhelmed

The pressure may be too much if you tend to stress a lot (but then again its' like that if you want to go to any top sixth forms)

We were the last year who got the bursary

Late detentions accumulate over time

if you have any more questions about the school then feel free to ask.
Original post by 晓Themis
Im in year 12 and im currently studying religious studies, politics, history and english lit at Brampton. To sum it up, I honestly love it here. However i won't be bias and i'll give u the pros and cons.
Pros:

The teachers are really nice and will give you all the help needed if you ask

The food is really good imo

The study centre is an amazing place to revise in

AIR CONDITIONING is heaven especially in the summer

The support for work experience and university application is really really good (the core reasons why we get a lot of oxbridge offers)

Even if you dont want to go to university we have lots of partnership with renowned businesses (Simmons and Simmons, NHS, HSBC, Sky Tv, and soo much more), so you can always get support if you want to go for degree apprenticeships

The teachers KNOW their stuff, teachers at bma are mostly ppl who got a phd or masters in the subject.

It's really easy to make friends (lots of social events)

Cons:

Food prices are a bit inflated (a 60p cookie went to £1)

It is VERY fast paced, so you might get a bit overwhelmed

The pressure may be too much if you tend to stress a lot (but then again its' like that if you want to go to any top sixth forms)

We were the last year who got the bursary

Late detentions accumulate over time

if you have any more questions about the school then feel free to ask.

Hello!!

Thank you for this very helpful information. I do know that getting into Brampton Manor Acdemy is mostly determined by your Grades, however, do other factors play a role in the admissions process?
Original post by Kymarnii
Hello!!
Thank you for this very helpful information. I do know that getting into Brampton Manor Acdemy is mostly determined by your Grades, however, do other factors play a role in the admissions process?

As far as i can remember during my applications, there isn’t really much apart from grades. Brampton is also quite diverse (a LOT of people from ethnic minority backgrounds). So i wouldnt rlly worry much about anything apart from grades.

Also if u’re applying to subjects that isnt rlly stem based, u’ll probably be able to get in with a gpa of a 7.3+, since humanity subjects are less competitive compared to stem. On the other hand, most of my stem friends have a gpa of at least 8+.

It might also be worth mentioning that one of the Year 13s got a 9988887766 for GCSEs and now has an offer for Cambridge Law. So yes grades play a big part in the application process but so do what subjects u r planning to apply for and how competitive it is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending