The Student Room Group

University courses at collage?

My local collage is advertising university level courses like HND/C's and foundation degrees now I know that's fairly normal but they are also offering top up's (that's a one year course to turn an HND or foundation to a honours degree) and BSc's from partner universities while I also get this what is confusing is some of the courses are Reading university courses so if you want to do one of those courses why wouldn't you just go to the university?
(edited 1 year ago)
It costs less. You can do the two years of the HND (£6k a year) and then do the last year (£9k a year) at university

Smaller class sizes.

Can stay closer to home.

More disabled/mature student friendly.
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
It costs less. You can do the two years of the HND (£6k a year) and then do the last year (£9k a year) at university

Smaller class sizes.

Can stay closer to home.

More disabled/mature student friendly.

Yeah ok it get most of that it makes perfect sense except for your "Can stay closer to home." point. The university isn't a million miles away from the collage it's a 15 minute walk so you wouldn't be any closer or further from home if you went there. Ad i know the HND- Top up costs less i did that except my HND and Top up were both run on a univerity campus so I got all the university stuff.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Original post by jonathanemptage
Yeah ok it get most of that it makes perfect sense except for your "Can stay closer to home." point. The university isn't a million miles away from the collage it's a 15 minute walk so you wouldn't be any closer or further from home if you went there.

Right, but this is not the case for all FE providers offering top ups. There are FE colleges in the North West offering top ups from Sheffield Hallam. So in your particular instance the distance thing might not apply but in lots of others, broad-scale, it does.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by gjd800
Right, but this is not the case for all FE providers offering top ups. There are FE colleges in the North West offering top ups from Sheffield Hallam. So in your particular instance the distance thing might not apply but in lots of others, broad-scale, it does.

Yeah I realise that Solent (my actual university) has a centre in Manchester I was more asking about this specific instance though.
Original post by jonathanemptage
Yeah ok it get most of that it makes perfect sense except for your "Can stay closer to home." point. The university isn't a million miles away from the collage it's a 15 minute walk so you wouldn't be any closer or further from home if you went there. Ad i know the HND- Top up costs less i did that except my HND and Top up were both run on a univerity campus so I got all the university stuff.

Cool story bro
Seriously I’m not lying it's actually that close look here’s a map I actually went to Solent they offered at the time HNC/HND FDSC Top up to BSc and BSc oh and BEng (all on campus) now in my subject area they only offer the 3 year BEng or 4 years with a foundation year.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending