The Student Room Group

maths a level mechanics question

hey guys pls help with this

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't get the mark scheme . why are they applying the cosine formula. where did they get cos60 from and 6?
Original post by astiaf
I don't get the mark scheme . why are they applying the cosine formula. where did they get cos60 from and 6?

They are using the parallelogram of forces to get the resultant. 180 - 120 = 60
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79

I still don't get it nvm
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79

bro I still don't get it please help meeeeeeeeeee idk where they got 6 from
Original post by astiaf
bro I still don't get it please help meeeeeeeeeee idk where they got 6 from

Opposite angles are equal so you know you have 120 as 2 of the angles adding to 360 so the other 2 must be 60.
Reply 6
Original post by noahwdennis
Opposite angles are equal so you know you have 120 as 2 of the angles adding to 360 so the other 2 must be 60.

I get that part . I don't know where they got the 6 from when using the cosine formula.
Original post by astiaf
I get that part . I don't know where they got the 6 from when using the cosine formula.

Sorry I didn't see that.
I believe it should be 12 instead of 6.
Original post by astiaf

The 6 looks like a typo. Should be 12 imo
Reply 9
Original post by boulderingislife
The 6 looks like a typo. Should be 12 imo

that would give the wrong answer tho . im extremely baffled by this question. even by this parallelogram method. I just resolve angles and solve it that way. perhaps someone could show how it could be done by resolving??
Original post by astiaf
that would give the wrong answer tho . im extremely baffled by this question. even by this parallelogram method. I just resolve angles and solve it that way. perhaps someone could show how it could be done by resolving??

If they got it wrong in the working, the answer could be wrong? Or is there a different mark scheme you are referring to?
Reply 11
If they got it wrong in the working, the answer could be wrong? Or is there a different mark scheme you are referring to?

thats the madas model answers. they might be wrong but I doubt it.
Original post by astiaf

Well it looks like they got it right and just made a slight mistake on that line putting 6 instead of 12 because on the next line the 48 is made up of 2 x 8 x 6 x cos60 (0.5)
Original post by astiaf

they are not wrong, just a typo. 6 should be a 12, triangle is formed with angle 60 degrees, two lengths 8 and 12 with length F to be found using cosine. that unmarked length next to the 60 degrees should be 12, as it is parallel to the marked length opposite of 12. thats my best guess.
Reply 14
Original post by baziop
they are not wrong, just a typo. 6 should be a 12, triangle is formed with angle 60 degrees, two lengths 8 and 12 with length F to be found using cosine. that unmarked length next to the 60 degrees should be 12, as it is parallel to the marked length opposite of 12. thats my best guess.

how is that not wrong, if you use 12 instead of 6 you get the magnitude to be root 112 and not root 160
Original post by baziop

6 is a typo and the error is carried through. Next line should be 96, not 48 imo. Thoughts?
Reply 16
Well it looks like they got it right and just made a slight mistake on that line putting 6 instead of 12 because on the next line the 48 is made up of 2 x 8 x 6 x cos60 (0.5)

I got no clue what you're talking about bro. that changes the answer
6 is a typo and the error is carried through. Next line should be 96, not 48 imo. Thoughts?

Yep I agree
Reply 18

yess!! bro these guys are waffling so much ur the only one talking sense

yup sounds fine, sorry OP, I forgot to mention that final answer ofc changes from the altered working

Quick Reply

Latest