The Student Room Group

gained a stone during exam season...getting engaged soon

I'm a gym girlie who has been hitting the gym consistently since last year and although my progress may not seem as big to some, i went from 75kg to 68kg within 2 months or so. I have been stress eating soo much while preparing for one of the most important exams of my life, with little to no exercise, and I have gained all the weight back and more, and I am back to square one. I am having my engagement party at the end of May/beginning of June and I have truly let myself go. If I go on a very aggressive weight loss plan (I know this is not sustainable), will I be able to lose the weight? Im talking 5-6 grinding at the gym, cardio weights and also clean eating and getting on a deficit + intermittent fast. I just want to feel beautiful - i know weight has no factor in this but personally, I feel very depressed and let down. I haven't seen my fiance in so long and I just have a feeling he will be surprised by how big I have gotten.
Reply 1
This is totally normal, and well done for admitting your stress.
An aggressive weight loss plan can negatively affect your mood further and is certainly not advised for your mental as well as physical health.
By attending the gym, you will help lose some weight but don't just run on the treadmill for an hour this is unproductive and may affect your motivation,. try weights but maybe doing more LIIT like walking or cycling to the gym or your place of education or work, this time outdoors will also aid your mood.
Diet wise a calorie deficit is a great way to start but make sure not to eat too little because this can actually prevent you from losing weight, so try and eat high protein, low calorie, balanced meals making sure to include enough carbs so that you are not feeling drained and weak.
I personally do not recommend intermittent fasting, but that's due to my own experience, however it may work better for others.
Remember everyone is different and need different things to obtain their goals.
Don't give up and good luck for your exam and congratulations on your engagement.
Original post by Anonymous
I haven't seen my fiance in so long and I just have a feeling he will be surprised by how big I have gotten.

If it turns out to be an issue for him, perhaps it might be worth reflecting on your relationship with him...

Quick Reply

Latest