The Student Room Group

pharmacy student summer holiday

Hi,
I have just finished the second year of the course, and I wanted some advice as to how I should utilise my free time. Unfortunately, I have tried to find a dispensing job at local pharmacies, but it has been about a month with no response from the ones I have visited...Are there any suggestions as to what I can do. I really want to do something relating to primary care (GP) or hospital, but I couldn't find anything. Currently in the process of ORIEL application (again, the SJT/Numeracy resources are limited). I would really appreciate any suggestions that would help me improve my CV or pharmacy-degree related position.
Many thanks.
Original post by Dxtccjdsch
Hi,
I have just finished the second year of the course, and I wanted some advice as to how I should utilise my free time. Unfortunately, I have tried to find a dispensing job at local pharmacies, but it has been about a month with no response from the ones I have visited...Are there any suggestions as to what I can do. I really want to do something relating to primary care (GP) or hospital, but I couldn't find anything. Currently in the process of ORIEL application (again, the SJT/Numeracy resources are limited). I would really appreciate any suggestions that would help me improve my CV or pharmacy-degree related position.
Many thanks.

Hi @Dxtccjdsch

As far as I am aware you sit your ORIEL exam the summer after completing your third year, so it's good that you are already looking at ORIEL resources.

Have you applied at pharmacies who have vacancies or have you handed in your CV to pharmacies regardless of whether they have vacancies? A good thing to do if you haven't already, is to hand in your CV regardless of whether the pharmacy has any vacancies, that way they have your contact details to hand in case they ever need staff. You could also initially, volunteer in a pharmacy to get some pharmacy based experience and then apply for jobs using the skills gained from that voluntary work.

Sometimes, multinational companies hold a paid summer placement for a couple of weeks... you may want to research a little in to that!

In terms of primary care or hospital experience you could continue applying for jobs. I'm not too sure about how easy it is to obtain experience in these settings apart from just applying for jobs.

I hope this helps!
Please don't hesitate to ask any questions :smile:
Aaliya ~ 4th year pharmacy student ~ University of Huddersfield
Reply 2
Dear Aaliya,

Thank you very much for your response...do you have any advice as to what I can do in my free time over this summer, because so far I still have not heard anything from the vacancies I have applied to (and local pharmacies). I am going to write to local GPs to ask if I can shadow GPs and ACPs during consultations.

Do you also have any advice regarding ORIEL and MPharm in general? I would really benefit from advice from students from the years above :smile:

Many thanks,
Dear Aaliya,

Thank you very much for your response...do you have any advice as to what I can do in my free time over this summer, because so far I still have not heard anything from the vacancies I have applied to (and local pharmacies). I am going to write to local GPs to ask if I can shadow GPs and ACPs during consultations.

Do you also have any advice regarding ORIEL and MPharm in general? I would really benefit from advice from students from the years above :smile:

Many thanks,

Hi!

As you have said you would like to focus on getting some pharmacy experience this summer it would also be a good idea to ensure you have some free time for yourself as you don't want to be too burnt out before you begin your third year.
In terms of not hearing back after handing in your CV, a lot of my friends on my course would ring or even walk into pharmacies local to them and enquire about any job/voluntary opportunities. That way they would hear an answer almost immediately.

I'm not sure how the course has been set up at your university, however, try to stay up to date with everything. Try and get your lecture notes written up as soon as possible and start learning the content alongside any assignments and essays. That way you won't be trying to cram content last minute before exam season.

When it comes to preparing for ORIEL try to source as many practice questions as possible, you may want to email/contact your pharmacy practice lecturers to see if they have any more resources to hand.
Make sure you pick as many choices as possible and make sure you choose them thinking about location, travelling and which sector you think you would find most beneficial :smile:

Reply 4
Thank you Aaliyah. Would you recommend me calling the pharmacies I have handed my CV to as well?

(Original post by University of Huddersfield Student Rep)Hi!

As you have said you would like to focus on getting some pharmacy experience this summer it would also be a good idea to ensure you have some free time for yourself as you don't want to be too burnt out before you begin your third year.
In terms of not hearing back after handing in your CV, a lot of my friends on my course would ring or even walk into pharmacies local to them and enquire about any job/voluntary opportunities. That way they would hear an answer almost immediately.

I'm not sure how the course has been set up at your university, however, try to stay up to date with everything. Try and get your lecture notes written up as soon as possible and start learning the content alongside any assignments and essays. That way you won't be trying to cram content last minute before exam season.

When it comes to preparing for ORIEL try to source as many practice questions as possible, you may want to email/contact your pharmacy practice lecturers to see if they have any more resources to hand.
Make sure you pick as many choices as possible and make sure you choose them thinking about location, travelling and which sector you think you would find most beneficial :smile:

Thank you Aaliyah. Would you recommend me calling the pharmacies I have handed my CV to as well?

Hi @Dxtccjdsch

There is no guarantee that it will definitely work, this was just a method that some students on my course took to get their names out there. You could potentially contact the pharmacies where you have handed in your CV and not heard back from.

Reply 6
Hi,
Many thanks.

Hi, I’m glad you’ve passed your second year. I feel so lost and stressed at the moment I failed all my exams and I don’t know what to do my resits are so soon aswell. I just feel so lost and I don’t know if I can make it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending