The Student Room Group

Student Finance: masters degree funding

I studied 2 years at one university then started over at a new university. Due to mental health reasons I was granted an extra year of student funding. Now I'm finishing my second year (with good grades) and I want to do a masters.

Could I apply for a 6th year of student finance support, or will I have to take a gap year to raise funds? Does the fact my first year at my previous university was a foundation year change anything?

Thanks!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Jhoey
My situation is, I did 2 years at one university, then switched to do a degree at another.

I applied for an extra year of student finance, since I was told we are only funded for 4 years and 2+3=5, and I was granted it.

However, I am doing very well in my current degree and I am considering the possibility of getting a masters.

Could I apply for a 6th year of student finance support, or will I have to take a gap year to raise funds?

Does the fact my first year at my previous university was a foundation year change anything?

Thanks!

Hi there, what university and course are you looking to apply for? When is your course due to start? Thanks, Karen
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Karen
Hi there, what university and course are you looking to apply for? When is your course due to start? Thanks, Karen

A masters in Physics with Philosophy at the University of Lincoln starting 2024 would be most likely.
Original post by Jhoey
A masters in Physics with Philosophy at the University of Lincoln starting 2024 would be most likely.

Our 24/25 academic year Postgraduate Loan applications won't launch until Summer 2024. Postgraduate Loan funding is assessed for separately to undergraduate funding and the standard calculation doesn't apply. As long as you don't hold a masters qualification you should be OK to get funding.

You can find out more about the eligibility for this here: https://www.gov.uk/masters-loan

The Postgraduate Loan is a Contribution Loan towards the total cost of your course. It can be used for Tuition Fee Loan or Maintenance Loan at the student’s discretion. It is the student’s responsibility to pay the fees to the university.

Thanks, Karen
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Karen
Our 24/25 academic year Postgraduate Loan applications won't launch until Summer 2024. Postgraduate Loan funding is assessed for separately to undergraduate funding and the standard calculation doesn't apply. As long as you don't hold a masters qualification you should be OK to get funding.

You can find out more about the eligibility for this here: https://www.gov.uk/masters-loan

The Postgraduate Loan is a Contribution Loan towards the total cost of your course. It can be used for Tuition Fee Loan or Maintenance Loan at the student’s discretion. It is the student’s responsibility to pay the fees to the university.

Thanks, Karen

Thanks Karen, that's really useful!

So the fact I have already received 5 years of student finance support for my undergraduate degree doesn't change me eligibility to get financial support for a masters degree?

How much is the masters degree loan generally? Is it based off parental income?
Original post by Jhoey
Thanks Karen, that's really useful!

So the fact I have already received 5 years of student finance support for my undergraduate degree doesn't change me eligibility to get financial support for a masters degree?

How much is the masters degree loan generally? Is it based off parental income?

That's correct!

The funding that is available is on the website linked above. Thanks, Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending