The Student Room Group

Masters funding

Hi, I’m struggling to find a straightforward answer to my question online so thought I’d ask on here. My course is a 4 year full time undergraduate degree as it included a foundation year at the beginning (thought it was the best decision as I started during lockdown), I am about to go into my final year and hoping to apply for a masters when I’m done. Im a bit confused about student finance when you’ve had an “extra” year of funding. Im aware you don’t get a maintenance loan with masters but would I get a tuition loan for a full time masters course? Some people have told me you get a max four years of funding no matter what (assuming most people would do a 3 year course then a one year masters), others have told me I should still get a tuition loan if I’ve only done the one course so far (which I have). I’m nervous I wouldn’t get the same funding as everyone else for a masters with my degree having the extra year on the front of it. Can anyone help who’s been in a similar boat? Thank you!
The masters loan is a single loan paid directly to you. It’s up to you whether you use it to cover tuition fees or living costs or both (tuition fees are unregulated for postgraduate study and may be higher than the loan amount).

Undergraduate funding doesn’t affect your eligibility for a masters loan. As long as you are studying a full Masters degree and don’t have a masters degree already then you’re eligible
Reply 2
Original post by Ew2000x
Hi, I’m struggling to find a straightforward answer to my question online so thought I’d ask on here. My course is a 4 year full time undergraduate degree as it included a foundation year at the beginning (thought it was the best decision as I started during lockdown), I am about to go into my final year and hoping to apply for a masters when I’m done. Im a bit confused about student finance when you’ve had an “extra” year of funding. Im aware you don’t get a maintenance loan with masters but would I get a tuition loan for a full time masters course? Some people have told me you get a max four years of funding no matter what (assuming most people would do a 3 year course then a one year masters), others have told me I should still get a tuition loan if I’ve only done the one course so far (which I have). I’m nervous I wouldn’t get the same funding as everyone else for a masters with my degree having the extra year on the front of it. Can anyone help who’s been in a similar boat? Thank you!

Where are you studying and where you do expect to apply to, and studying what?
Original post by Ew2000x

Hello,

Please see below a link containing useful information about postgraduate funding, including the Postgraduate Masters Loan.

https://www.gov.uk/funding-for-postgraduate-study

Kind regards,
Juzer
Coventry University Student Ambassador
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
The masters loan is a single loan paid directly to you. It’s up to you whether you use it to cover tuition fees or living costs or both (tuition fees are unregulated for postgraduate study and may be higher than the loan amount).

Undergraduate funding doesn’t affect your eligibility for a masters loan. As long as you are studying a full Masters degree and don’t have a masters degree already then you’re eligible

How about the online master degree (2-year)?
Original post by Haitch_dm
How about the online master degree (2-year)?

What about them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending