The Student Room Group

SCITT and Universal Credit

Good morning,

I need to find out if I can claim Universal Credit on top of the salary while doing SCITT.

I am a single parent so normally a wage at that level would mean I would get a monthly top-up from that. However, I am concerned that they may consider me a 'student' rather than simply 'employed' so would not qualify. As I am sure you know, students cannot usually claim Universal Credit.

Can anyone help?
Original post by miaandami
Good morning,

I need to find out if I can claim Universal Credit on top of the salary while doing SCITT.

I am a single parent so normally a wage at that level would mean I would get a monthly top-up from that. However, I am concerned that they may consider me a 'student' rather than simply 'employed' so would not qualify. As I am sure you know, students cannot usually claim Universal Credit.

Can anyone help?

You can apply for UC as a student; they will take into account your finance when working out your entitlement. If it's a salary, they will just work it out as they do with any other job. If you will be claiming a maintenance loan from SFE then they are not allowed to include a certain amount as part of the calculation as well as anything classed as a grant (such as additional money for being a parent). They will then work out your payments over the 9 months it covers.

From experience, it is a massive pain being a student on UC. Over the last five years, I've gone from them underpaying me by thousands, to being paid right, to me now being overpaid during my PGCE, so owing them. However, both my husband and I are students, so it's a little more complicated than just a solo claim.

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending