The Student Room Group

PGCE or SCITT?

Hello all, I am new in this group. Need some suggestion on this topic. which one is good for future job probability please?
thank you in advance.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by nita_1
Hello all, I am new in this group. Need some suggestion on this topic. which one is good for future job probability please?
thank you in advance.
Personally I prefer the PGCE route at a uni to better prepare you for the classroom.

The probelm with a SCITT is they tend to focus on local schools and their needs rather then thinking you might want to work elsewhere.

I'm a teacher on SLT so interview potential teachers. Obviously we don't discriminate when selecting for interview but the skill differences in the sample lesson are usually pretty evident.
Original post by nita_1
thank you in advance.
Hello @nita_1

The PGCE qualification can be acquired on a SCITT course (School Centered Initial Teacher Training) and so it doesn't need to be one or the other. Rather, you need to really do your research into the 5-6 local Teacher Training course providers. Find out what they offer in terms of wider experience, and opportunity in the two (or more) schools that they allow you to do your teaching practice in. A Get into Teaching adviser can help you weigh up your options.

All the best, Jane :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Get into Teaching
Hello @nita_1

The PGCE qualification can be acquired on a SCITT course (School Centered Initial Teacher Training) and so it doesn't need to be one or the other. Rather, you need to really do your research into the 5-6 local Teacher Training course providers. Find out what they offer in terms of wider experience, and opportunity in the two (or more) schools that they allow you to do your teaching practice in. A Get into Teaching adviser can help you weigh up your options.

thank you. Actually at this moment I already got a offer from a uni and at the same time my school is asking me if I can join SCITT through them. There is my confusion!
Original post by nita_1
thank you. Actually at this moment I already got a offer from a uni and at the same time my school is asking me if I can join SCITT through them. There is my confusion!
Hi @nita_1

Congratulations on your offer of a place on a teacher training course! You have an exciting teaching career ahead of you. You don't mention the subject that you're looking to train to teach in, so it's tricky to give you guidance. However, you allude to already having a connection to a school currently. If you know that school and it's leadership very well, you need to consider what more would you learn from that environment? While you would need to experience a second school on your teaching practice, if its another school in the same MAT, then the experience wouldn't be largely different. However, the two school placements you attend on a University-led teacher training course, would give the opportunity to broaden your experience. It's the experience that you use to evidence your competence in teaching job interviews and so the wider your knowledge, skills and experience is, the more employable you are.

Reply 5
Original post by nita_1
thank you in advance.
It depends on the university and it depends on the school.

I did Schools Direct around 8 years ago with a very reputable school in the Greater Manchester area. Everyone who graduated there got jobs who wanted them. But equally the other half of my schools direct program was given by MMU and again, everyone got jobs.

I would suggest that when you are considering SCHITT or Uni, ask them the question, what extras do you offer? At the school I got much better training on behaviour, additional needs and did a mental health qualification at the same time. The university bunch however got the opportunity to do enrichment abroad although only 1 or 2 took that offer up.

So make lots of enquiries and find out about each course in detail before you apply.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending