The Student Room Group

Student bank account recs?

What is the best student bank account for myself?

I have been rejected from Santander, and I was told that was the best one. I'm currently with Halifax, so is it just better to transfer my bank account when the student ones become available ?
Why were you rejected by santander?
Original post by wrenney
What is the best student bank account for myself?

I have been rejected from Santander, and I was told that was the best one. I'm currently with Halifax, so is it just better to transfer my bank account when the student ones become available ?

If you are starting uni in Sep/Oct this year, you won't be able to apply until your place is confirmed after results day.

The 'best' student bank account depends on what you need. Santander offers the incentive of a 4-year railcard but its free overdraft facility is only up to £1,500. Nationwide and HSBC offer accounts with overdrafts up to £3,000. The following article might be worth a read and it is usually updated in August with the latest offers:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-bank-account/
Reply 3
Original post by normaw
If you are starting uni in Sep/Oct this year, you won't be able to apply until your place is confirmed after results day.

The 'best' student bank account depends on what you need. Santander offers the incentive of a 4-year railcard but its free overdraft facility is only up to £1,500. Nationwide and HSBC offer accounts with overdrafts up to £3,000. The following article might be worth a read and it is usually updated in August with the latest offers:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-bank-account/

Am I still unable to apply if I've already got my confirmed place? I accepted an unconditional offer and I have been told by college tutors I could start applying now. I could have been told wrong though haha
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Why were you rejected by santander?

From what the email told me, it was something to do with credit scores. However, I have never taken any sort of loans or credit so I shouldn't have anything impacting it that badly? I think I am going to have to go into a branch to see what is up by the looks of it.
Original post by wrenney
Am I still unable to apply if I've already got my confirmed place? I accepted an unconditional offer and I have been told by college tutors I could start applying now. I could have been told wrong though haha

If you are unconditional, you can apply now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending