The Student Room Group

A- level dilemma

My school can't offer me my 3rd A level( Business Studies) due to a timetable clash. Nor can they offer me my next 2 choices for same reason. My other 2 are Psychology and Music. I really want to stay here as the Music department is fantastic and I have a great rapport with my teachers. I have discussed doing an online A Level in Business which my parents will pay for, but school is not keen due to the fact they get funding for students to do 3 A levels with them, not 2. This seems vastly unfair, given they can't offer me my choice of subject. Are there any precedents for this? I know I can go to another school and do my preferred subjects but the music department is seriously inferior and that is my No1 A level. Help please?
Reply 1
They are correct about the '2 A levels = no funding' - and you can't expect any school to teach you for free.

You can either stay at that school and take a 3rd A level/BTEC subject that is less than ideal, or you can switch to another school or college, but being petulant about this situation with your current school isnt going to get you anywhere.
Reply 2
Thanks, I wasn't aware I was being petulant. Does 2 A levels not even get part funding?
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
They are correct about the '2 A levels = no funding' - and you can't expect any school to teach you for free.

You can either stay at that school and take a 3rd A level/BTEC subject that is less than ideal, or you can switch to another school or college, but being petulant about this situation with your current school isnt going to get you anywhere.

Thanks, I wasn't aware I was being petulant. Do 2 A levels not even get part funding?
i had the same issue with my subjects for literature and psychology being in the same block, along with two of my other friends. we told the school that since there are three of us we would alternate with 2 going to one class and one going to the other, and later we could catch up and inform each other what we did. its been working for us for the whole year especially since both my teachers are kinda bad so its mostly self study anyway but yeah. perhaps you could find someone with the same subjects w you and ask your school if it would be possible to do it in this method. otherwise another school would be a better option as you dont want to drop a subject essential to your future career/education just because your school couldnt provide it for you.
Reply 5
That's a really novel approach!
Reply 6
Original post by shenry72
Do 2 A levels not even get part funding?

It isnt a 'full study load' - schools are not there for part-time students.
Original post by McGinger

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest