The Student Room Group

why do i feel so socially anxious and inferior?

i'm always petrified of people judging me about EVERYTHING. I don't want people to think/ discover i'm weird so i avoid interactions and that makes me seem even more weird. i feel like a failure and i always feel like people are judging and comparing me...
but when i know people well we have a lot of fun and i'm not actually uptight or aloof or snobbish or quiet like people think. i wish i could just feel at ease and be open as soon as i meet someone, but i just really hate people seeing who i am and judging me negatively. i'm such a ******* coward lolol
Reply 1
I have this exact problem!!

What I've found really helps me is having an extroverted friend. My best friend isn't really an extrovert, she's more of an ambivert, I'm totally an introvert though. But when I'm with her we are both much more outgoing and relaxed. It really helps to have a buddy to help you socialize and be your true self around. I hope you have someone like this!!

Wishing you all the best in working on this!!!! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by username6126085
i'm always petrified of people judging me about EVERYTHING. I don't want people to think/ discover i'm weird so i avoid interactions and that makes me seem even more weird. i feel like a failure and i always feel like people are judging and comparing me...
but when i know people well we have a lot of fun and i'm not actually uptight or aloof or snobbish or quiet like people think. i wish i could just feel at ease and be open as soon as i meet someone, but i just really hate people seeing who i am and judging me negatively. i'm such a ******* coward lolol

I feel you 100%! I reached a point where I decided to start going to therapy because it was really affecting me- my first session is actually tomorrow and I'm ****ting myself about it. I deffo agree with having a more extroverted friend it can help make you feel more at ease at being social. Ultimately whether you act as a less "weird" version of yourself or not people are always going to judge. That's just life. Sometimes realising that can be quite freeing actually. Best of luck with everything :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest