The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature quote-memorising techniques

I'm in Year 10 at the moment, but I have mocks coming up soon, and something I'm struggling with is memorising quotes for not just English Lit, but also RE which requires quotes for essays. My school teaches the Love and Relationships poetry anthology and there's so much content to remember in the 15 poems, that I don't know how to approach memorising the details. I have an assessment coming up soon, with a comparing poems style question - if anyone has any good, quick techniques for remembering quotes, it would be much appreciated if you could share them with me!!
Reply 1
Original post by emelini
I'm in Year 10 at the moment, but I have mocks coming up soon, and something I'm struggling with is memorising quotes for not just English Lit, but also RE which requires quotes for essays. My school teaches the Love and Relationships poetry anthology and there's so much content to remember in the 15 poems, that I don't know how to approach memorising the details. I have an assessment coming up soon, with a comparing poems style question - if anyone has any good, quick techniques for remembering quotes, it would be much appreciated if you could share them with me!!

Well for one I would always say flashcards are useful for memorising them: if you look at them everyday and try and remember little things you'll gradually get there. It's kind of brute-force, but from my knowledge there's not really that many ways you can learn them.

I would however recommend going through all the poems, and picking it maybe 3/4 that you know can be applied to all other poems. In these anthologies there are certain poems that will match up to basically every other poem in that category (e.g. familial love), so you can choose a few and they should be able to be applied to basically every question because of their wide-rangingness (it's best to do one's you like, too). That really cuts down the amount of quotes you need to memorise, while still giving you enough for all the questions. I'd recommend 5 quotes per poem, depending on their length.

When choosing these poems it's good to choose ones that are full of everything, for example it's got an important structure and form, powerful language, etc. - all stuff that you can analyse easily in the exam by just remembering, but rake in some easy marks. It's also good to analyse the quotes you've picked for easy recall in the exams.

I'm afraid it's the sort of thing that everyone does differently, but I hope this helped. Best of luck with your mocks :biggrin:
Original post by emelini

Hi, like Moss said, flashcards do help quite a bit, what I find works for me is by condensing everything I need to remember onto a maximum of one A4 page. I then write a few questions relevant for those notes and memorise them that way. Although, it took me a fair few days to memorise the notes, it was effective and did help. I would also memorise the quotes only if I can make a good point using them. For example, for english, I will find a relevant quote and link it to the point/technique I will use with it - this helps me to pick out the necessary quotes while also making sure I can make a good point with it. Make sure you leave enough time to attempt some practice questions so you can apply what you have learn to an exam-style question. I hope that helps and good luck with your exams!
Reply 3
Original post by emelini

Hi, what I did for my GCSE'S was find quotes that link to multiple themes and poems and made them into flashcards and tried to test myself. I would try and rememeber it and say it out loud if I couldn't I would put that in my urgent pile and try and repeat it more frequently. Some of my friends used to treat them like songs to memorize. Good luck- try not to stress to much and just see year 10 mocks as a time to test yourself and improve instead of daunting and scary :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest