The Student Room Group

help regarding my school subject choices for a potential future food science career

I'm taking the Arts and Design IBCP next year. I know this is completely unrelated but I really do want to do this course despite wanting to pursue food science in the future.

The IBCP is an alternative to the IBDP which is part of the international baccalaureat. The IBCP is a career program that focuses more on as it says, the career and offers a more focused experience and prepares you for your chosen career topic, which for me is arts and design.

The IBCP course is going to be starting next year and is my junior and senior year of high school. I am now 16 and in year 11 according to UK grade and year 10 if it were in US terms.

My subject choices are Design HL and food science SL. I am now deciding between ESS and Chemistry.

ESS because I am genuinely interested and chemistry because of food science although it will be harder than ESS. ESS stands for environmental systems and societies and is basically environmental sciences

I was just wondering if taking chemistry will really help with my chances of doing food science for university or if I won't get accepted since what I'm doing is arts and design.

If there really are no chances, I was just thinking of taking ESS and giving up on food science in the future since I do like arts and design as well, although I like food sci more.

I am also not taking math and am worried this will affect my chances as well.

I appreciate any advice concerning this topic and thank you.
Original post by eggworm
I'm taking the Arts and Design IBCP next year. I know this is completely unrelated but I really do want to do this course despite wanting to pursue food science in the future.

The IBCP is an alternative to the IBDP which is part of the international baccalaureat. The IBCP is a career program that focuses more on as it says, the career and offers a more focused experience and prepares you for your chosen career topic, which for me is arts and design.

The IBCP course is going to be starting next year and is my junior and senior year of high school. I am now 16 and in year 11 according to UK grade and year 10 if it were in US terms.

My subject choices are Design HL and food science SL. I am now deciding between ESS and Chemistry.

ESS because I am genuinely interested and chemistry because of food science although it will be harder than ESS. ESS stands for environmental systems and societies and is basically environmental sciences

I was just wondering if taking chemistry will really help with my chances of doing food science for university or if I won't get accepted since what I'm doing is arts and design.

If there really are no chances, I was just thinking of taking ESS and giving up on food science in the future since I do like arts and design as well, although I like food sci more.

You are going to struggle to go in two different directions at the same time. It might be worth considering that to progress food technology as a career you require specific foundations of knowledge, ie the qualifications t do a degree in food tech as a start. Whereas to get into a lot of creative careers, you need a combination of talent and practice, which you can pursue alongside the food tech.
Reply 2
Original post by eggworm

Hi eggworm! I'm taking the IB Dip and I'm going to be starting my 1st IB exam tomorrow! So just a quick note to you, to help you frame your thought process around your IBCP subject selection and pursuing your interest in food science.

Not all IB schools offer the IBCP and the subject offers will also differ from school to school. Pick the subjects to YOUR strength so that you can get the best grades for them.

Not all universities accept the IBCP, and for universities that accept the IBCP, only certain courses accept it. So spend some time browsing the web pages of the universities that offer food science undergraduate degree/s to build up a shortlist of universities and even email the departments to ask if they accept the IBCP and what subjects they would want for food science. I suspect biology or chemistry would be at least one of them.

There are universities like University of Reading in the UK that offers an undergraduate degree BSc (Hons) UCAS: BD48 4 years with foundation year which can be really helpful if you don't study the subjects that they want. If this is something that looks interesting to you, you can further explore all other similar courses at different universities (even other countries)!
Original post by BubblesBB
Hi eggworm! I'm taking the IB Dip and I'm going to be starting my 1st IB exam tomorrow! So just a quick note to you, to help you frame your thought process around your IBCP subject selection and pursuing your interest in food science.

Not all IB schools offer the IBCP and the subject offers will also differ from school to school. Pick the subjects to YOUR strength so that you can get the best grades for them.

Not all universities accept the IBCP, and for universities that accept the IBCP, only certain courses accept it. So spend some time browsing the web pages of the universities that offer food science undergraduate degree/s to build up a shortlist of universities and even email the departments to ask if they accept the IBCP and what subjects they would want for food science. I suspect biology or chemistry would be at least one of them.

There are universities like University of Reading in the UK that offers an undergraduate degree BSc (Hons) UCAS: BD48 4 years with foundation year which can be really helpful if you don't study the subjects that they want. If this is something that looks interesting to you, you can further explore all other similar courses at different universities (even other countries)!

Hello @eggworm , as @BubblesBB explains , here at Reading we offer the BSc Food Science with foundation. You can find out more about the course here - https://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-study/study/subject-area/food-and-nutrition-ug/bsc-food-science-with-foundation . As you can see from the link , the entry requirements are BBB for applicants without a core science subject. And then it is CCC for applicants with a core science subject. I know a few people who did a foundation year (not with food science but other degrees) and they really enjoyed it! It gives you a great basis of knowledge before starting the degree!
If you have any more questions about the course or studying at the university of Reading please don`t hesitate to ask!
Hope this has helped!
Owain :smile:
2nd year Mathematics and Economics student
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
You are going to struggle to go in two different directions at the same time. It might be worth considering that to progress food technology as a career you require specific foundations of knowledge, ie the qualifications t do a degree in food tech as a start. Whereas to get into a lot of creative careers, you need a combination of talent and practice, which you can pursue alongside the food tech.

Ah I see. I know that arts and science are two vastly different subjects which will require different skills and it will be difficult which is why I'm asking for advice. Thanks for replying! :>
Reply 5
Original post by BubblesBB

Thank you so much for your reply! Your reply was helpful and I'm going to consider your advice. I have checked out many university requirements and I hopefully will be alright for some of them. Like you said I don't know if they will accept IBCP which I was also worried about. I'm also gonna check out the university of reading as it sounds great. Thanks again! (:
Reply 6
Original post by UniofReading
Hello @eggworm , as @BubblesBB explains , here at Reading we offer the BSc Food Science with foundation. You can find out more about the course here - https://www.reading.ac.uk/ready-to-study/study/subject-area/food-and-nutrition-ug/bsc-food-science-with-foundation . As you can see from the link , the entry requirements are BBB for applicants without a core science subject. And then it is CCC for applicants with a core science subject. I know a few people who did a foundation year (not with food science but other degrees) and they really enjoyed it! It gives you a great basis of knowledge before starting the degree!
If you have any more questions about the course or studying at the university of Reading please don`t hesitate to ask!
Hope this has helped!
Owain :smile:
2nd year Mathematics and Economics student

Oh wow hi! Thank you so much for suggesting your school. I checked it out and it seems really great and helpful. The foundation classes seem really interesting and I hopefully can fulfill those requirements.
May I ask if you accept IBCP graduates instead of the IBDP?
And do you think taking Food science, design and ESS will work? or should I change ESS to chem for better chances? And what if I don't have HL science?
thanks again :>
(edited 11 months ago)
Honestly if possible I would recommend taking A-levels; you get more variety and more universities will accept your qualifications. Check the entry requirements for different universities and use those to guide your science-based choices and then you could take an art/design-based A-level alongside them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending