The Student Room Group

should i stay in nursing or transfer to biomedical science

I'm currently starting a nursing course. I'm not gonna lie I find it boring. really boring. I'm not a fan of doing placement at a hospital. I'm only really doing it cos my mom made me.
But I really like biomedical science and I want to transfer to it. but I don't know if there are any spaces left in biomedical science in the uni im currently in.
Another thing to consider is that I get a grant for studying nursing which is a massive help financially and there's also a good job opportunity if I stay in nursing.
But Im really not finding it interesting. I want to do an integrated master's at another uni but I dont know if there is space in the course. and what if my grades aren't enough and the whole informing the student finance and accommodation. What if I start biomedical science and I find it really difficult?

I dont really know what to do. This whole thing has been troubling me for weeks
Reply 1
If you're really not finding it worth it switch. Don't pay thousands for a course that you hate that might end up with you in a nursing job that you hate. Don't live your life for other people. If you really like bio med and are willing to pull through it even though it is difficult then do it, look/ask around for any spaces at uni you're at and if there's not then potentially look for other uni's around you that are nearby? Go with your gut feeling and with what you want to do not your parents. it's your life after all
Do you actually want to work as a nurse on graduation? If not then it may be best to look at other courses - the placements are probably just going to get harder and more draining as the course goes on, especially if you have no interest in doing that work anyway.

That said, do consider carefully the financial implications of it. If you're in your second year, you won't have full SFE funding for swapping to first year of a new full-time degree.
Reply 3
Original post by cariiii07
If you're really not finding it worth it switch. Don't pay thousands for a course that you hate that might end up with you in a nursing job that you hate. Don't live your life for other people. If you really like bio med and are willing to pull through it even though it is difficult then do it, look/ask around for any spaces at uni you're at and if there's not then potentially look for other uni's around you that are nearby? Go with your gut feeling and with what you want to do not your parents. it's your life after all

Thank you for your reply.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Do you actually want to work as a nurse on graduation? If not then it may be best to look at other courses - the placements are probably just going to get harder and more draining as the course goes on, especially if you have no interest in doing that work anyway.

That said, do consider carefully the financial implications of it. If you're in your second year, you won't have full SFE funding for swapping to first year of a new full-time degree.

Thank you for the reply I don't know if I do want to work as a nurse I'd rather not but its something I'd have as a plan b. I'm still in the first year and I'm about a month in the course.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 5
leave. you must want to be a nurse. its not a job that works out well for nurses that hate their jobs. bio science if its where your interests lie do it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending