The Student Room Group

Will we lose our council flat if I move into uni accommodation?

We lived in temporary accommodation for quite a while and we just got our own council flat at the end of last year which I am so grateful for. For context, I live with my mum and little brother (who is 13) in a 3 bedroom flat in the south.

I’m in year 12 now and i’m starting to look at universities and whether i want to go to ones that are closer or further away. I’ve been thinking that if I go to a London uni I can commute and save money on rent (and possibly keep our flat), and *if* I get into Cambridge I could live in accommodation since it’s a long commute.

I’ve shattered every piece of my soul for school and making sure i get good grades so university is really important to me, but not more important than my family having a permanent home.

If I move out for uni, will we be relocated? If anyone has been in a similar situation or knows more about this please let me know :smile: Sorry for the huge chunk of text
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
We lived in temporary accommodation for quite a while and we just got our own council flat at the end of last year which I am so grateful for. For context, I live with my mum and little brother (who is 13) in a 3 bedroom flat in the south.

I’m in year 12 now and i’m starting to look at universities and whether i want to go to ones that are closer or further away. I’ve been thinking that if I go to a London uni I can commute and save money on rent (and possibly keep our flat), and *if* I get into Cambridge I could live in accommodation since it’s a long commute.

I’ve shattered every piece of my soul for school and making sure i get good grades so university is really important to me, but not more important than my family having a permanent home.

If I move out for uni, will we be relocated? If anyone has been in a similar situation or knows more about this please let me know :smile: Sorry for the huge chunk of text

There should be no reason as to why your family would have to relocate if you moved out for university, however if you are concerned about it maybe speak to your mum and ask the council. I highly doubt it would happen though :smile: good luck with your university applications
Check your tenancy agreement. Usually temporary absence from the property during term time won’t change your situation. Especially for Cambridge where terms are so short and many colleges don’t allow you to stay over holidays. Even better speak to the housing team at the council and explain that you’re applying to university and get confirmation from them in writing that it’s not a problem.

As a student you would be exempt from council tax too which means that your mum will still be eligible for single person discount on council tax for the flat.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
There should be no reason as to why your family would have to relocate if you moved out for university, however if you are concerned about it maybe speak to your mum and ask the council. I highly doubt it would happen though :smile: good luck with your university applications

Thank you for the reply! I haven’t told my mum about my concerns yet so I’ll speak with her today and look into contacting the council
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Check your tenancy agreement. Usually temporary absence from the property during term time won’t change your situation. Especially for Cambridge where terms are so short and many colleges don’t allow you to stay over holidays. Even better speak to the housing team at the council and explain that you’re applying to university and get confirmation from them in writing that it’s not a problem.

As a student you would be exempt from council tax too which means that your mum will still be eligible for single person discount on council tax for the flat.

Thank you so much for the reply! It was hard to find the right words to get relevant answers from google. I’ll look through the tenancy agreement and contact the council if there’s still something that’s not clear

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending