The Student Room Group

Minimal feedback from dissertation supervisor...

Should I be worried that my supervisor for my dissertation is giving me minimal notes on my chapters? It's due next Wednesday and I'm not sure if she's only giving me minimal feedback because it's good and doesn't need much help, or because she's thinking there's not enough time to change too much now anyway.
I'm a big over-thinker and it's stressing me out because I've never written a diss before, so I don't know how much feedback supervisors are even allowed to give.

Any advice would be appreciated because... aghhhhh!!
Reply 1
Original post by kaleigh_pritchy
Should I be worried that my supervisor for my dissertation is giving me minimal notes on my chapters? It's due next Wednesday and I'm not sure if she's only giving me minimal feedback because it's good and doesn't need much help, or because she's thinking there's not enough time to change too much now anyway.
I'm a big over-thinker and it's stressing me out because I've never written a diss before, so I don't know how much feedback supervisors are even allowed to give.

Generally you can take a breath and a step back and allow yourself calm.
Supervisors are busy. They read lots of reports and attend lots of meetings, etc. But ultimately, they want their students to do well. I've never met one who has given up on a student entirely. The fact that there are comments at all means that it's not a tragic lost cause.
What kind of comments are they? Generally constructive, positive, or negative? That is the state of your dis.
I suggest taking the core theme of the comments and checking the dis to make sure they get applied everywhere, not just in that one instance the supervisor saw (including before the comments).
Dont bother sending your dis to a service. How are they to know if it's any good?
I'm sure it'll all be good in the end
Reply 2
What is your subject area?
Most people haven’t written a dissertation before, this is normal.

A thesis is your submission, some feedback on the structure of your report and loose guidance on where the strengths & weaknesses of your report is appropriate however it is ultimately your project & your story to tell...
Original post by mnot
Most people haven’t written a dissertation before, this is normal.

A thesis is your submission, some feedback on the structure of your report and loose guidance on where the strengths & weaknesses of your report is appropriate however it is ultimately your project & your story to tell...

Second that, in my institution I can make suggestions about structure and content early on, but am specifically forbidden from giving detailed feedback on an advanced draft of an MSc or BSc thesis. It is after all an exercise in showing what you can do as the crowning glory of your course, not what your supervisor can do.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by kaleigh_pritchy

@kaleigh_pritchy

There's not that much time to go, so try and focus on the feedback that you have and making those necessary changes.

Try not to overthink it, if you were going in the wrong direction, it is likely they would have tried to steer you back on course by now.

With the remaining time, it's important to make sure that you are within the word count, your referencing is correct and that you have put all your references in.

It's the final details you need to focus on now.

You are on the home straight!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending