The Student Room Group

Second attempt at a masters?

I withdrew from my first attempt at a part-time masters after a few months due to a number of personal issues that negatively impacted my ability to study at the time. I would like to give it another go now that I've had some time but I'd need funding, and I'm not entirely sure what kind of evidence I need to supply to get another masters loan?
Original post by Timone_C
I withdrew from my first attempt at a part-time masters after a few months due to a number of personal issues that negatively impacted my ability to study at the time. I would like to give it another go now that I've had some time but I'd need funding, and I'm not entirely sure what kind of evidence I need to supply to get another masters loan?

Hi Timone,

Did you receive payment on your previous master's?

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 2
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi Timone,

Did you receive payment on your previous master's?

Thanks,
Claire

Hi Claire.

Yes, I did receive partial payment for my last course. It was a three-year part-time course, and I think it worked out to about £3300 per year. I left the course partway through the first year after my younger cousin died, and I only received about £2200 in total. I've looked around and some places say that this counts as having received full payment, others say it only counts as partial payment.

I guess I have two questions;
1- is it at all possible to get a partial loan, equivalent to what's left over from the first attempt, and pay the rest myself?
2- if not, what kind of evidence do the slc/sfc want for extenuating circumstances, ie. bereavement and poor mental health?

I don't have any medical evidence to support my decision to leave; I didn't speak to a doctor or therapist about the decision, I just knew I felt like absolute s*** and couldn't keep doing the course. I might be able to ask for a copy my cousin's death certificate but I really don't want to, it seems like a real d*** move just so I can "go back to school".

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Timone
Hi Claire.

Yes, I did receive partial payment for my last course. It was a three-year part-time course, and I think it worked out to about £3300 per year. I left the course partway through the first year after my younger cousin died, and I only received about £2200 in total. I've looked around and some places say that this counts as having received full payment, others say it only counts as partial payment.

I guess I have two questions;
1- is it at all possible to get a partial loan, equivalent to what's left over from the first attempt, and pay the rest myself?
2- if not, what kind of evidence do the slc/sfc want for extenuating circumstances, ie. bereavement and poor mental health?

I don't have any medical evidence to support my decision to leave; I didn't speak to a doctor or therapist about the decision, I just knew I felt like absolute s*** and couldn't keep doing the course. I might be able to ask for a copy my cousin's death certificate but I really don't want to, it seems like a real d*** move just so I can "go back to school".

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Timone

Hi Timone,

If a student has already received any instalment of their PGM/PGD they will be ineligible for further funding without Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) being accepted.

If a student has withdrawn and wishes to apply again with CPR, they must submit a paper application. The PGL Team cannot consider CPR with a HEP withdrawal alone. Therefore, students must send their CPR evidence along with a new paper application form for review.

Evidence
- a cover letter describing their illness and how it impacted their studies
- a letter from their HEP stating that they withdrew for personal reasons
- a letter from their GP explaining that they were suffering from depression, during the relevant time period

Once received, the team will review this and decide if they can award the finance.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 4
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi Timone,

If a student has already received any instalment of their PGM/PGD they will be ineligible for further funding without Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) being accepted.

If a student has withdrawn and wishes to apply again with CPR, they must submit a paper application. The PGL Team cannot consider CPR with a HEP withdrawal alone. Therefore, students must send their CPR evidence along with a new paper application form for review.

Evidence
- a cover letter describing their illness and how it impacted their studies
- a letter from their HEP stating that they withdrew for personal reasons
- a letter from their GP explaining that they were suffering from depression, during the relevant time period

Once received, the team will review this and decide if they can award the finance.

Thanks,
Claire

Thanks Claire.

So in summary, I need a cover letter explaining what happened, as well as evidence from both my GP and my previous University? In addition to the usual paper application form?

Thanks,
Timone
Reply 5
Thanks Claire.

So in summary, I need a cover letter explaining what happened, as well as evidence from both my GP and my previous University? In addition to the usual paper application form?

Thanks,
Timone

Also, would my old uni need to send the letter straight to SLC/SFC or do they send it to me to put together with the application form?
Also, would my old uni need to send the letter straight to SLC/SFC or do they send it to me to put together with the application form?

Hi there, We would require all the evidence and the application and cover letter to be sent via post together for the team to review. Thanks, Karen

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending