The Student Room Group

2.1 MSc offer, what if I get a 2.2?

I've been offered a place at Uni of Birmingham MSc in Computer Science. I'm in my final year but first term performed poorly, so need an extremely high 2nd term performance to achieve a 2.1 overall.

Concerned I might get a 2.2.. Are universities lenient? I have a 6 Months + "Comp Sci" type work experience that involved heavy coding

If I get a 2.2. can I appeal?? Any testimonies?
Reply 1
I think it is unlikely they will let you in with a 2:2, especially since they can just find another person.
Reply 2
Original post by gtty123
I think it is unlikely they will let you in with a 2:2, especially since they can just find another person.

I understand, but would an appeal be possible? I'm unfamiliar with the MSc application appeal process since it's not done through UCAS.

Even if it's unlikely, I'd rather have a go than regret
Reply 3
bump
Original post by Anonymous
bump

A comp sci masters at a good uni is likely to be pretty sensitive about admissions standards, not least because the level of difficulty will be set on the expected quality of applicants. Admissions tutors tend to be pretty fixed on offer requirements like this unless the course is badly undersubscribed. Not what you want to hear, but best to be honest about this.
Reply 5
Depends.

Is the offer they have made conditional or unconditional ?

If unconditional, then outside very specific circumstances, including extreme underperformance (2:2 instead of 2:1+ wouldn’t really apply as that) then the offer would remain. Yes, unconditional does come with some conditions (although they are quite extreme/ unlikely to happen but not impossible)

If conditional, then double check what those are. If contingent on achieving 2:1, then they are within their rights to rescind the offer if you do not get the grade. However, they might not take it back, it is at their discretion.

Unlike undergrad, you are making your application directly to the uni with no middle man. They might still like your motivations etc from your personal statement, and so still want to take you in. You might get a high 2:2 and they still would be happy to have you. They could have space and so could take you to make up the numbers. You wouldn’t hear the reason, so wor th saying not to worrying about the why they take you in (if they do) and just accept the decision.
If you already study there, they usually look on you more favourably too.

You won’t know until the time comes. If concerned, you can always check other universities that might offer similar courses you might be interested in, and apply to them instead as alternatives.

You could also take and break, work etc, and then reapply another time I.e. for next year.

In short, give it your all with what’s left, and aim high and then take it from there.
Reply 6
I understand, but would an appeal be possible? I'm unfamiliar with the MSc application appeal process since it's not done through UCAS.

Even if it's unlikely, I'd rather have a go than regret

You could try, but whether it works is debatable.
I've been offered a place at Uni of Birmingham MSc in Computer Science. I'm in my final year but first term performed poorly, so need an extremely high 2nd term performance to achieve a 2.1 overall.

Concerned I might get a 2.2.. Are universities lenient? I have a 6 Months + "Comp Sci" type work experience that involved heavy coding

Appeal on what basis?
Reply 8

If you are a near miss they might still accept you, I think. No guarantee though.
Just try your best to get the 2.1.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 9
Thank you, guys, for all the encouragement and replies to this thread, I'll try my utmost best to get the 2.1!!

I'll update this thread in ~2 months :-D

Original post by Dnsnnssn
If you are a near miss they might still accept you, I think. No guarantee though.
Just try your best to get the 2.1.

Original post by souljav
Depends.

Is the offer they have made conditional or unconditional ?

If unconditional, then outside very specific circumstances, including extreme underperformance (2:2 instead of 2:1+ wouldn’t really apply as that) then the offer would remain. Yes, unconditional does come with some conditions (although they are quite extreme/ unlikely to happen but not impossible)

If conditional, then double check what those are. If contingent on achieving 2:1, then they are within their rights to rescind the offer if you do not get the grade. However, they might not take it back, it is at their discretion.

Unlike undergrad, you are making your application directly to the uni with no middle man. They might still like your motivations etc from your personal statement, and so still want to take you in. You might get a high 2:2 and they still would be happy to have you. They could have space and so could take you to make up the numbers. You wouldn’t hear the reason, so wor th saying not to worrying about the why they take you in (if they do) and just accept the decision.
If you already study there, they usually look on you more favourably too.

You won’t know until the time comes. If concerned, you can always check other universities that might offer similar courses you might be interested in, and apply to them instead as alternatives.

You could also take and break, work etc, and then reapply another time I.e. for next year.

In short, give it your all with what’s left, and aim high and then take it from there.

Original post by Mr Wednesday
A comp sci masters at a good uni is likely to be pretty sensitive about admissions standards, not least because the level of difficulty will be set on the expected quality of applicants. Admissions tutors tend to be pretty fixed on offer requirements like this unless the course is badly undersubscribed. Not what you want to hear, but best to be honest about this.

Original post by gtty123
You could try, but whether it works is debatable.

Original post by ageshallnot
Appeal on what basis?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending