The Student Room Group

Applying for a course through clearing that I didn't originally get the grades for?

hiya hope this makes sense but I was just wondering if its possible to apply for a course through clearing that I missed the grades for on results day? so like if I missed the grades for both my firm and insurance unis and ended up in clearing, if those same courses at the same unis were on clearing would I be able to ring up on results day and apply for one of them even though I just got rejected? I'm under the impression that grade requirements generally are lowered during clearing but I've heard there can be some leniency. sorry if this sounds really stupid I just don't really understand and I'm likely gonna end up in clearing so just wanted to know 😭 thank youu! xx
Original post by 111.honeymoon
hiya hope this makes sense but I was just wondering if its possible to apply for a course through clearing that I missed the grades for on results day? so like if I missed the grades for both my firm and insurance unis and ended up in clearing, if those same courses at the same unis were on clearing would I be able to ring up on results day and apply for one of them even though I just got rejected? I'm under the impression that grade requirements generally are lowered during clearing but I've heard there can be some leniency. sorry if this sounds really stupid I just don't really understand and I'm likely gonna end up in clearing so just wanted to know 😭 thank youu! xx

Universities get your A level results about a week before you do. Once your firm uni has confirmed the places of those who have met their offer grades, they will look to see if there's any space left in the course. If there is, they'll look at the "near miss" candidates (i.e. you in this scenario) and decide whether to confirm their place anyway. They might, and they might not. If they don't confirm your place anyway, then then pass you to your insurance choice which goes through the same process.

Either university may then open the course to Clearing, but both will already have reviewed your grades and considered confirming your place with the grades you achieved. There is therefore absolutely no point applying for the same course at the same university, via Clearing, as they've already looked at your "near miss" grades and made their decision.

Suppose you're asked for AAA but get AAB. If they'd accept AAB via Clearing, they'd confirm your place anyway (as a "near miss" candidate) and not drop you into Clearing.
Reply 2
Its pointless trying to to reapply for a course you have just been rejected for - they dont want you with the grades that you have, and they want people with higher grades to fill any spaces.

At that point its time to move on and apply elsewhere, or talk to your school about resits.

What Happens on Results Day - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/results/a-level/guide-to-a-level-results-day
Reply 3
ahh okay thank you that makes sense. hopefully they'll let me in as a near miss candidate hahah but thank you!
Original post by DataVenia
Universities get your A level results about a week before you do. Once your firm uni has confirmed the places of those who have met their offer grades, they will look to see if there's any space left in the course. If there is, they'll look at the "near miss" candidates (i.e. you in this scenario) and decide whether to confirm their place anyway. They might, and they might not. If they don't confirm your place anyway, then then pass you to your insurance choice which goes through the same process.

Either university may then open the course to Clearing, but both will already have reviewed your grades and considered confirming your place with the grades you achieved. There is therefore absolutely no point applying for the same course at the same university, via Clearing, as they've already looked at your "near miss" grades and made their decision.

Suppose you're asked for AAA but get AAB. If they'd accept AAB via Clearing, they'd confirm your place anyway (as a "near miss" candidate) and not drop you into Clearing.
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
Its pointless trying to to reapply for a course you have just been rejected for - they dont want you with the grades that you have, and they want people with higher grades to fill any spaces.

At that point its time to move on and apply elsewhere, or talk to your school about resits.

What Happens on Results Day - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/results/a-level/guide-to-a-level-results-day

okay thank you for explaining!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending