The Student Room Group

Some advice on Clearance

Hello,
after getting your A-level results how do you go for clearance?

Do you call the university,what do you do?

I have my Plan Bs (two Biomedicine)
but I want to apply to Brighton and Sussex Medical university.

How do I approach this,any advices?

Thank you for your time
Original post by B-star
Hello,

Thank you for your time

After results day, from what I know, UCAS opens clearing. Universities let UCAS know what places they have after people didnt get in (missed grades, declined insurance, etc) and UCAS puts these up. I'm not sure of the process exactly, but I assume it works like UCAS Extra, where you basically just pick another option and click submit?

But failing that, yes, I'm sure you could directly contact the universities. Be aware that this might be awkward on results day with the amount of people begging to get accepted on lower grades.

I'm not sure exactly when clearing opens, possibly September? I'm sure UCAS will have it up.

Hope that helps 👍
Original post by B-star
Hello,

Thank you for your time

To be eligible for clearing, you must not be holding any offers through UCAS. If you are holding any offers and wish to enter clearing, there is an option to decline all your offers once they have converted to an unconditional offer - note this is not reversible.

Assuming you are eligible for clearing, clearing opens usually from around May or so, but the bulk of the courses get added on A-level results day. To go through clearing, you will first have to find a course that is in clearing you are interested in applying to, then call the uni offering that course. They will then discuss with you by phone and, if they have spaces left and you meet the requirements, give you a verbal offer. Once you have a verbal offer, you then need to log into UCAS and add the option to your UCAS choices. The uni will then confirm the offer through UCAS which will be an unconditional offer normally.

Note you can only add one course at a time in clearing, although you can hold any number of verbal offers. Also note that unis will not make an offer on any course added to UCAS through clearing that they haven't already issued a verbal offer for. Note though that verbal offers usually have a time limit on which you need to act upon them. So you can ring around several unis to get multiple verbal offers then make a decision - however note that clearing often moves fast with many spaces getting taken up in the first hour or two after the lines open (usually first thing on A-level results day - I would recommend planning to be up by 8am and ready to start making calls at that time!).

Sometimes if you are applying to a different course to which you applied for initially, the uni will ask you to send them a new personal statement for the new course to them and then confirm if they can make you an offer (usually a verbal offer by phone but sometimes they will make a written offer by email which goes through the same process that you need to then add the course on UCAS for the uni to then confirm). If you know you are applying to a different course than your current one, it's worth writing the personal statement in advance so you have it ready to go on the day :smile:

Note that medicine is not always in clearing, and a) there are very few spaces and they go very quickly and b) you will need to have already taken the relevant admissions assessments for the current admissions round. If you don't already have a UCAT or BMAT score you can't apply to medicine through clearing as far as I'm aware.
You need to call the universities with your grades and see what courses they have available and whether they will make you an offer.

You can collect as many offers as you like, but you can only formally refer yourself to one choice via hub.

Don’t submit your application to a uni via hub unless you have e received a verbal offer.

Original post by heinzbeans7
After results day, from what I know, UCAS opens clearing. Universities let UCAS know what places they have after people didnt get in (missed grades, declined insurance, etc) and UCAS puts these up. I'm not sure of the process exactly, but I assume it works like UCAS Extra, where you basically just pick another option and click submit?

But failing that, yes, I'm sure you could directly contact the universities. Be aware that this might be awkward on results day with the amount of people begging to get accepted on lower grades.

I'm not sure exactly when clearing opens, possibly September? I'm sure UCAS will have it up.

Hope that helps 👍
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
To be eligible for clearing, you must not be holding any offers through UCAS. If you are holding any offers and wish to enter clearing, there is an option to decline all your offers once they have converted to an unconditional offer - note this is not reversible.

Assuming you are eligible for clearing, clearing opens usually from around May or so, but the bulk of the courses get added on A-level results day. To go through clearing, you will first have to find a course that is in clearing you are interested in applying to, then call the uni offering that course. They will then discuss with you by phone and, if they have spaces left and you meet the requirements, give you a verbal offer. Once you have a verbal offer, you then need to log into UCAS and add the option to your UCAS choices. The uni will then confirm the offer through UCAS which will be an unconditional offer normally.

Note you can only add one course at a time in clearing, although you can hold any number of verbal offers. Also note that unis will not make an offer on any course added to UCAS through clearing that they haven't already issued a verbal offer for. Note though that verbal offers usually have a time limit on which you need to act upon them. So you can ring around several unis to get multiple verbal offers then make a decision - however note that clearing often moves fast with many spaces getting taken up in the first hour or two after the lines open (usually first thing on A-level results day - I would recommend planning to be up by 8am and ready to start making calls at that time!).

Sometimes if you are applying to a different course to which you applied for initially, the uni will ask you to send them a new personal statement for the new course to them and then confirm if they can make you an offer (usually a verbal offer by phone but sometimes they will make a written offer by email which goes through the same process that you need to then add the course on UCAS for the uni to then confirm). If you know you are applying to a different course than your current one, it's worth writing the personal statement in advance so you have it ready to go on the day :smile:

Note that medicine is not always in clearing, and a) there are very few spaces and they go very quickly and b) you will need to have already taken the relevant admissions assessments for the current admissions round. If you don't already have a UCAT or BMAT score you can't apply to medicine through clearing as far as I'm aware.

Thank you for your reply,this was really helpful. I have taken the Bmat test last year and did not accept any offers since I was already aware I needed to do that in order to be eligible for clearance. Sorry for the late reply,usually I get a notification if someone replys but I didn't so I thought no one replied.

The two university I'm interested in is
1ST Brighton &Sussex medical school
2nd Leeds
(Mainly first one)

So once I get my results I should immediately call the university and ask if there are any available spaces?
(How should I ask?How should I say it? I'm a bit nervous about all of this, I did get my plan B which is two Biomedicine but I really want to try and go straight to medicine. )

Also, do they check personal statement again?
Because if so I want to improve mine or do they not ?

(This may be a stupid question but
If let's say Brighton says "yes there is space"
And gives me an offer.
I just add it on UCAS like I did when I picked my 5 choices last year?
E.g the uni,undergraduate...
I don't think there's an option to make a note that this choice is through clearance,I'm guessing that's not necessary just add it as normal.)

20230715_140207.jpg
Original post by B-star
Thank you for your reply,this was really helpful. I have taken the Bmat test last year and did not accept any offers since I was already aware I needed to do that in order to be eligible for clearance. Sorry for the late reply,usually I get a notification if someone replys but I didn't so I thought no one replied.

The two university I'm interested in is
1ST Brighton &Sussex medical school
2nd Leeds
(Mainly first one)

So once I get my results I should immediately call the university and ask if there are any available spaces?
(How should I ask?How should I say it? I'm a bit nervous about all of this, I did get my plan B which is two Biomedicine but I really want to try and go straight to medicine. )

Also, do they check personal statement again?
Because if so I want to improve mine or do they not ?

(This may be a stupid question but
If let's say Brighton says "yes there is space"
And gives me an offer.
I just add it on UCAS like I did when I picked my 5 choices last year?
E.g the uni,undergraduate...
I don't think there's an option to make a note that this choice is through clearance,I'm guessing that's not necessary just add it as normal.)

20230715_140207.jpg

I would suggest you start by reading the UCAS pages on clearing: https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/clearing-and-results-day/what-clearing

You will need to check if the university has the course in clearing first. They will publish their courses available in clearing on their webpage on or before results day. Then you will call their clearing number and ask if they have spaces available still. If so they will discuss with you your results and may give you a verbal offer. Once you have a verbal offer, you log into UCAS and add the choice through there.

You can't change your personal statement on UCAS but since I'm not aware of any medical schools that score the personal statement, and am aware many don't even read it, that's immaterial. If your original personal statement was for a different course they may ask you to submit a new one on the day, but if you have a medicine personal statement on UCAS already then there's nothing further that needs to be done.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending