The Student Room Group

Is it worth applying to Nottingham University medical school?

For their scoring system I have 21/32 on my GCSE scores and my UCAT i dont know what went wrong but I crumbled under pressure and messed up. I ended up getting 2440 with a band 3. This is 73 I think with their scoring system.

I know I have virtually no chance on the main A100 course but I qualify to be able to do medicine with a foundation year. I'm wondering if they still do focus heavily on the UCAT for that too.

Also does being a part of ambition Nottingham help or is that just for contextual offers?

Does anyone know the cutoff for their interview offer score??
Original post by Emily_210567
For their scoring system I have 21/32 on my GCSE scores and my UCAT i dont know what went wrong but I crumbled under pressure and messed up. I ended up getting 2440 with a band 3. This is 73 I think with their scoring system.

I know I have virtually no chance on the main A100 course but I qualify to be able to do medicine with a foundation year. I'm wondering if they still do focus heavily on the UCAT for that too.

Also does being a part of ambition Nottingham help or is that just for contextual offers?

Does anyone know the cutoff for their interview offer score??

Nottingham's cutoff was 127 for non-WP applicants last year.
Original post by bea_murray0
Nottingham's cutoff was 127 for non-WP applicants last year.

What does non-WP mean? Also, is the 127 out of the total for bothe UCAT and GCSE scoring?

If so, does that mean my score is too low?
What does non-WP mean? Also, is the 127 out of the total for bothe UCAT and GCSE scoring?

If so, does that mean my score is too low?

WP means widening participation. Criteria for WP status depend on the uni, but usually include things like being on free school meals, having been in care, living in a deprived area, sometime being the first in the family to go to uni, etc. So non-WP means those that don't fit WP criteria, and usually, that's the majority of applicants. The last scoring system I'm aware of for Notts and lincoln was out of 152, with SJT and UCAT (with VR score doubled) weighted equally at 60 points each, and GCSEs worth 32 points. The scoring system might have changed, so do double check that, but the b3 would put you at a significant disadvantage, and, unless your VR is exceptionally high, your UCAT score probably isn't great either. If your score is 73, I wouldn't bother applying, but as I said, double check the system and that you've scored it correctly.
WP means widening participation. Criteria for WP status depend on the uni, but usually include things like being on free school meals, having been in care, living in a deprived area, sometime being the first in the family to go to uni, etc. So non-WP means those that don't fit WP criteria, and usually, that's the majority of applicants. The last scoring system I'm aware of for Notts and lincoln was out of 152, with SJT and UCAT (with VR score doubled) weighted equally at 60 points each, and GCSEs worth 32 points. The scoring system might have changed, so do double check that, but the b3 would put you at a significant disadvantage, and, unless your VR is exceptionally high, your UCAT score probably isn't great either. If your score is 73, I wouldn't bother applying, but as I said, double check the system and that you've scored it correctly.

Okay, thank you. I really appreciate it. So would you say even with being eligible for WP I have a chance or is it too risky.

If I was to reapply next year would that be a better option then, given I get the grades and redo the UCAT?
Okay, thank you. I really appreciate it. So would you say even with being eligible for WP I have a chance or is it too risky.

If I was to reapply next year would that be a better option then, given I get the grades and redo the UCAT?

I don't know what the WP cutoff is but it's likely to only be a few points lower, still around 120 if I had to guess. You can check last year's thread to try and find an accurate number. I fear 73 would still be way too low even for WP. If you do reapply, you would need to be mindful of reapplication policies, but yes you would have a better chance provided you score higher in UCAT. It wouldn't be worth reapplying just for Nottingham though, why Nottingham in particular?
I can't apply anywhere too far as my parents want me to stay home. And as for why Nottingham in particular its because I live here and my heart was set on it. Now that I've messed up on the UCAT I dont know what I'm gonna do as it was my first option with Lincoln being what I was going to have as a "backup/insurance". I've messed up my whole future with this one exam and its completely ruined me.
I can't apply anywhere too far as my parents want me to stay home. And as for why Nottingham in particular its because I live here and my heart was set on it. Now that I've messed up on the UCAT I dont know what I'm gonna do as it was my first option with Lincoln being what I was going to have as a "backup/insurance". I've messed up my whole future with this one exam and its completely ruined me.

Firstly, having your 'heart set' on a particular med school never ends well. You've not messed anything up, it's not the end of the world. I suggest you look on last year's thread for the Notts foundation course to see what kind of score they require, and start looking at other options. They might not be so close to home, but given how hard it is to get an offer for medicine, you need to apply anywhere you have the best chance of getting in. This thread is the best for 'which med school' questions: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7102578

Hi, I have a question. If I got 118 on the scoring with BBB at A level, do you think I can apply to any foundation year courses into medicine? do u think it's worth trying?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending