The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

What is Durham university like?

Hey, I'm conflicted as to whether I should think about applying to Durham uni or not... I've heard that the nightlife is very quiet and I ideally want the fun uni experience, so do you think I could still get that there? On the other hand, the idea of colleges is so appealing to me! help.
Also if anyone is studying liberal arts there, what's it like? I'm most interested in the languages / english / philosophy side of it
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, I'm conflicted as to whether I should think about applying to Durham uni or not... I've heard that the nightlife is very quiet and I ideally want the fun uni experience, so do you think I could still get that there? On the other hand, the idea of colleges is so appealing to me! help.
Also if anyone is studying liberal arts there, what's it like? I'm most interested in the languages / english / philosophy side of it

Hi, I'm starting at Durham this year, but for sciences, so I can't offer much help on all of your questions, but I can say that there are pubs and bars that I know of that do student nights and stuff in regards to night life. As well, Newcastle, which is supposed to be one of the best places for night life, is literally only 15 minutes away by train and I've heard it's quite common just to go there (and there are offers you can get for free railcards and stuff when you start uni so it's always worth looking at that stuff too!)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
There are actually quite a few clubs as well as bars in Durham, they just all close at 2am

Hello,

There are quite a lot of clubs and bars in Durham, they just close at 2am, but generally nightlife in Durham is good and Newcastle is 10 mins by train so students won't miss out on the fun Uni experience either way :smile:
From my experience, Uni life at Durham has been amazing, there's so much to do and so many different opportunities to get into once you're here so you're guaranteed a fun time!

If you'd like to see/hear more about the Uni experience at Durham check out:
https://studentblog.webspace.durham.ac.uk/

If you're still curious about Uni life in Durham, there are various open days coming up in September that you can register for, it's the perfect way to get to know Durham and what your life at Durham could look like :smile:

https://www.durham.ac.uk/visit-us/open-days/

-Ghala
(Official DU Rep)
(edited 7 months ago)

There are typically a series of clubs that people will go to. From my experience, Babylon (babs) and Jimmy's are the most popular. CCTV being associated with Babylon on a wednesday and Jimmy's is more friday. Jimmy's is popular because it has free entry There are other things going on like "SNK" on Sunday's (I know people missing that going into second year with them having 9ams on mondays). There are some other clubs like "Loft" but no one likes it. It's small and cramped.
Original post by Durham Students
but generally nightlife in Durham is good and Newcastle is 10 mins by train so students won't miss out on the fun Uni experience either way :smile:

This evidently comes off as someone not on a hill college. It's a longer walk.

Quick Reply

Latest