The Student Room Group

Can I apply above my final grades?

I have just received my a-level results of BBC with an A in my EPQ. I chose to not apply during year 13 as I was still deciding on my degree and whether or not to go. I have now chosen to do History and Cardiff offers it for ABB -BBB. Could I be accepted and go to Cardiff is my question. I was wondering this as my EPQ is on history and I've heard that EPQ's can lower grade boundaries. I am also looking at Reading and Kent which both offer history for BBB exactly and am thinking I could scrape by with the help of my EPQ. Would this be a good idea or would I just be wasting my time?
Original post by Planetary_Piracy
I have just received my a-level results of BBC with an A in my EPQ. I chose to not apply during year 13 as I was still deciding on my degree and whether or not to go. I have now chosen to do History and Cardiff offers it for ABB -BBB. Could I be accepted and go to Cardiff is my question. I was wondering this as my EPQ is on history and I've heard that EPQ's can lower grade boundaries. I am also looking at Reading and Kent which both offer history for BBB exactly and am thinking I could scrape by with the help of my EPQ. Would this be a good idea or would I just be wasting my time?

You will need to check their websites to see if they do offer reduced entry requirements with an EPQ.

Unless they specifically state that an EPQ would lower the entry criteria, it won't.

Otherwise with achieved qualifications if you are not resitting you would need to aim for unis with entry criteria matching your grades, as you would not be made a conditional offer, you would either be given an unconditional offer or a rejection. There's no wiggle room.

If you are resitting it's plausible to apply to some unis above those grades if you are predicted higher (or believe you will get higher in the absence of formal predicted grades).

Hi @Planetary_Piracy,

I hope you're keeping well!

Congratulations on your A-level results! It 's great to hear you're interested in studying history at university! :biggrin:

I understand that you're concerned about your chances of being accepted to Cardiff, and though I can't speak for them, I can tell you that your grades are nevertheless very impressive, and so would heavily encourage you to try for Kent Clearing. I want to assure you that your EPQ grade of A is very impressive and will definitely help your application. In fact, 112 tariff points (on UCAS for Kent) does correlate to BBC, so you're already on the right track.

I would recommend that you contact our Clearing team as soon as possible to discuss your application. They will be able to give you more specific advice and help you decide which university is the best fit for you.
You can call them from this number: 01227 768896
or email them here: [email protected] is the best email for general admissions related queries

I'm confident that you will be able to find a great university to study history at. Just remember to stay positive and don't give up on your dreams! :smile:

I hope this information is helpful.

Please don't hestiate to ask if you have any more questions :smile:.

Kind regards,

David :smile:
University of Kent Representative

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending