The Student Room Group

heart beating rlly fast

i've noticed that its happening more often
(Im not a medical professional so take this with a grain of salt) If it's really worrying you then you can always go to a GP, however without information it could be a multitude of things.

- Exercise - release of adrenaline causes heart rate to increase
- Caffeine - energy drinks/coffee have been proved to increase heart rate
- Anaemia - if you're someone who menstruates, iron deficiency anemia is common. Your heart has to beat faster to pump enough blood around your body, iron is found in heme groups (4 per red blood cell) which binds to oxygen, therefore having a lower level of iron can reduce the volume of oxygen being pumped around your body leading to your heart overcompensating.
- Sleeping issues - such as undersleeping/oversleeping
- General nervousness or anxiety - again release of adrenaline results in increased heart rate, if you have anxiety you may find you also feel ill(nausea), experience shaking, sweating and even vomiting or diarrhoea.
- Stress - increased stress levels increases heart rate through release of adrenaline
- (I would rule everything else out first) Arrhythmia - irregularity in heart rate can be due to structural or electrical abnormalities of the heart, a common example is atrial fibrillation.

I'm going to assume since this is posted to a student forum, you're likely experiencing a higher amount of stress and anxiety relating to exams - maybe this is worsening your sleep schedule which is causing your increase in heart rate (especially as we're now in exam season). You're free to correct me though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest