The Student Room Group

How to tell my friend she can’t come to my birthday?

We’ve been friends since secondary school, we are now 22.

In the last few years we distanced slightly but we always invited eachother to our celebrations purely because we’re part of the same friendship group, and we still got along well.

In the last year though, she has been a terrible friend. A lot of things happened last year to me and she didn’t reach out once, I can’t remember the last time she messaged me herself - I stopped messaging first and we literally haven’t spoken since last September.

However, now my birthday is coming up and she messaged me asking about my plans and saying she’s really excited. To be honest, I think shes just coming for the event and I don’t want someone there who I hardly even speak to anymore.

Any advice on what I can reply, without coming off too rude or emotional?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
personally , i wouldnt even feel the need to respond if shes been a terrible friend , its not gonna be the end of the world if you or her cant attend each others party , you're grown you don't have to be like "my mom said no" just don't respond to her
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

In the last few years we distanced slightly but we always invited eachother to our celebrations purely because we’re part of the same friendship group, and we still got along well.

In the last year though, she has been a terrible friend. A lot of things happened last year to me and she didn’t reach out once, I can’t remember the last time she messaged me herself - I stopped messaging first and we literally haven’t spoken since last September.

However, now my birthday is coming up and she messaged me asking about my plans and saying she’s really excited. To be honest, I think shes just coming for the event and I don’t want someone there who I hardly even speak to anymore.

Hey I am so sorry to hear that.
Its difficult seeing someone you once liked drift apart from you. I would just tell her about your plans for the birthday but dont talk about inviting her. If she brings up the topic, you could tell her that your only inviting your close friends
Reply 3
Original post by blkgrI
personally , i wouldnt even feel the need to respond if shes been a terrible friend , its not gonna be the end of the world if you or her cant attend each others party , you're grown you don't have to be like "my mom said no" just don't respond to her

Hey I am so sorry to hear that.
Its difficult seeing someone you once liked drift apart from you. I would just tell her about your plans for the birthday but dont talk about inviting her. If she brings up the topic, you could tell her that your only inviting your close friends

Oops I might not have been so clear in my OP, I meant that she’s messaged me about my plans for my birthday and has basically assumed that I am inviting her (asking me what time she should be ready for etc)…
Reply 4
Oops I might not have been so clear in my OP, I meant that she’s messaged me about my plans for my birthday and has basically assumed that I am inviting her (asking me what time she should be ready for etc)…

enforce that she's not invited , shes pushing her boundaries imo she might get mad or throw a fit but all that matters is that you stood your ground , unless you want her to acknowledge what she did go in depth on why shes not invited, and based on her response you know how to continue forward w her .
May I suggest: "Hi, seeing as you haven't messaged me at all since September, and you haven't given a damn to message me first since before even then, I would LOVE to invite you! My party will be a representation of your recent contributions to our friendship! Absolutely nothing! F*ck off. Much love!"

First obviously check if they haven't replied because they're dealing with a loss of a family member or crippling depression, but if they're just not a good friend, the above is a nice way to let them know.
Reply 6
Original post by CatInTheCorner
May I suggest: "Hi, seeing as you haven't messaged me at all since September, and you haven't given a damn to message me first since before even then, I would LOVE to invite you! My party will be a representation of your recent contributions to our friendship! Absolutely nothing! F*ck off. Much love!"

First obviously check if they haven't replied because they're dealing with a loss of a family member or crippling depression, but if they're just not a good friend, the above is a nice way to let them know.

If I had confidence I would love to be able to say the above post

If you feel really bad about not inviting her to your celebration, I would make an excuse such as 'I'm not having a n event this year'. Then, ask your friends who are invited to not mention this to the uninvited friend, and to not post this on social media
Reply 8
Ignore the text completely OR

Something like this:
X - Its your b'day bla bla bla!

You - "Hello X, it's been a while hasn't it? I'm just having a small thing this yr, but if you want we can meet up and do something on a later/alternative date?
If I had confidence I would love to be able to say the above post

I will make it more polite friendly.

"Hi, good to hear from you! You haven't messaged me for half a year, so I assumed that you had moved on with our friendship. I'll be meeting with some of my friends for my birthday, looks like it'll be fun! No need to keep my contact, it seems we're just heading different places and you don't have the energy to message or call me, I get that, but I do need a certain level of contribution in a friendship and unfortunately ours won't work. Hope you're doing well."
Reply 10

Just ignore her message - she's ignored you ...
I will make it more polite friendly.

"Hi, good to hear from you! You haven't messaged me for half a year, so I assumed that you had moved on with our friendship. I'll be meeting with some of my friends for my birthday, looks like it'll be fun! No need to keep my contact, it seems we're just heading different places and you don't have the energy to message or call me, I get that, but I do need a certain level of contribution in a friendship and unfortunately ours won't work. Hope you're doing well."

This is lying and not getting right intentions across let her know why your not inviting her but be polite
I just wouldn't reply, personally
This is lying and not getting right intentions across let her know why your not inviting her but be polite

How is it lying? She's not contributing, OP has had enough, therefore they're just going different ways and won't be friends. You could always use my initial option. That was more direct.
Phone her this evening, for a positive friendly catch-up, how ya doing, catch up call.
Don't bring up the birthday.
If she brings it up say, in a genuine, enthusiastic way "Ya! We should meet-up. What would work better for you, X or Y?" X and Y can be something you'd just with her, or it could be something you'd do with a group with her tagging along. It's up to you if you make X and Y things she would be attracted to.

If she's socially uncalibrated enough to ask you about the birthday after that respond with something like "We go back quite a few years don't we?"
It's OK if you then relent and change your mind and allow her to come to your party. And if she keeps pushing you can say something like "One of the things I like about you is that you can be sooo persistent. Like a dog with a bone..."

If she tries getting into an argument with you about it. Agree and exagerate. EG "Yeah, I know. I'm such a ditzy friend. I've already lost 56 friends today because I didn't invite them to my birthday."
Just be honest and upfront with her. If she's been a sh***y friend then let her know, in your own words of course. Explain to her that you're not inviting her for that reason, wish her the best and move on. That's what I would do.
Reply 16
Give her the benefit of the doubt and invite her along
Original post by Zarek
Give her the benefit of the doubt and invite her along

You're always so nice on here aha, leave the girl, she's clearly an awful friend if there isn't a mitigating factor, which OP is not responsible for.
How is it lying? She's not contributing, OP has had enough, therefore they're just going different ways and won't be friends. You could always use my initial option. That was more direct.

Cause it’s important to be direct and honest they are just kids anyways maybe she’s not being as bad the OP is painting her to be not worth causing a big hassle.

Atleast if OP is honest the other can correct themselves or explain themselves
I would disagree with most of the posters above. Evidently you valued the relationship with this person on the basis that you were hurt that they hadn't reached out to you, and I suspect you may still value it but are still hurt over it and thus finding it difficult to move on from that. Also, you've already said that it was upsetting for you that you were going through a lot and didn't hear from them - it's entirely possible the reason they were less communicative this year was because they were also going through things. They might be thinking the same about you!

I would just respond by honestly explaining your feelings, that you were hurt they didn't reach out to you before and again that this is when they reached out to you/why they reached out to you, and you aren't sure how to feel about it. Then see what they say. It is likely to be a turning point in your relationship either way, but may not necessarily be a negative one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending