The Student Room Group

A level Student

Im doing my a levels and am sure that i will get a*'s but i missed uni application deadline. Is it true that on results day you can call up universities that do not do clearing and attempt to see if there have spaces left? Examples: UCL, KING'S for Law
Original post by AHAWA
Im doing my a levels and am sure that i will get a*'s but i missed uni application deadline. Is it true that on results day you can call up universities that do not do clearing and attempt to see if there have spaces left? Examples: UCL, KING'S for Law

It is true that you can call them up, yes. However, if that course is not in Clearing then then will not have spaces and you'll have wasted your phone call.

The 25th January deadline is for what's called "equal consideration". Applications submitted by then will be considered equally. That doesn't mean you can't apply after then - you can, and many people do. However, you'd only be able to apply for courses which still have spaces available - which will severely limit your options.

You can find our what courses are still accepting applications in the UCAS search tool (it's one of the filter options), but you should always double-check by calling the university too - as UCAS can be out-of-date.

Even if you don't find any courses you want that way, at least you've applied - meaning UCAS have all your details, your school reference, your personal statement, etc. That way, on results day, you can just give your Clearing number to unis to which you want to apply your and they can access your full application and give you an "in principal" decision on the phone. If you've not actually completed a UCAS application by that point, then they can't do that.

If your hope is to apply for places like UCL and King's for Law (which will be very oversubscribed), you might be better applying for admission next year instead.

BTW, how did you manage to miss the "equal consideration" deadline - by almost five months?! :confused:
Reply 2
Its exceptionally unlikely that even with A*A*A* you 'd get into these Unis on Results Day for a flagship subject like Law - but you can always call anyway - the worst they can say is No.

You would be far more likely to find a Law place at middle-grade Unis if you exceed their entry requirements - Liverpool, Sheffield, UEA, City, Sussex etc.

Or just plan a gap year and apply to 5 choices next year. Just dont apply to more than 2 of the big London Unis, as even with the right grades you can easily be rejected from all of them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending