The Student Room Group

capped mark of zero

i have to submit dissertation resit witth cappped mark of zero its credit is zero will be able to get masters degree
Original post by hihik
i have to submit dissertation resit witth cappped mark of zero its credit is zero will be able to get masters degree

Your question is lacking a little detail.

Is the dissertation part of a Master's degree you're currently doing, and you're asking whether or not you will be able to pass the degree? Or is it part of an undergraduate degree, and you're asking whether you'll get a good enough degree classification / transcript to be able to successfully apply for a subsequent Master's?

When you say, "its credit is zero", does that mean that even if your mark had not been capped at zero, the dissertation would have had zero impact on your degree classification (although it must be passed anyway)?
Reply 2
hi sorry for incomplete question my question i am a postgraduarte student doing masters in uk and its total credits are 180 my all modules are passed due to some academic misconduct in frist attempt they said me to re submit dissertatiom and its marked will be capped at zero i am asking if is passed resit will be able for masters degrree or not? will capped mark at zero will impact on my degree
Original post by hihik
hi sorry for incomplete question my question i am a postgraduarte student doing masters in uk and its total credits are 180 my all modules are passed due to some academic misconduct in frist attempt they said me to re submit dissertatiom and its marked will be capped at zero i am asking if is passed resit will be able for masters degrree or not? will capped mark at zero will impact on my degree

Understood. Thanks for the clarifications.

What uni is this for? (Different unis have different rules.)
Reply 4
university of bradford
Original post by hihik
university of bradford

The short answer is that my reading of the regulations is that you can still obtain your Master's (assuming you've passed every else), but that you can't earn a merit or distinction. The long answer is below...

The quotes below are all from Regulation 9 Postgraduate Taught Awards on their web site.

5.3 For a Degree of Master, students must study units amounting to 180 Credits at Levels
6 and/or 7, including units amounting to at least 160 Credits at Level 7 which will normally include a dissertation, project or major report, etc. The maximum period of registration normally permitted is 3 years full time, 5 years part time.

You've said that "total credits are 180 my all modules are passed", but the regulations say that those 180 credits "will normally include a dissertation".

Can you confirm how many credits the dissertation is worth, and whether it represents some of those 180 credits or is in addition to them? (Your first post says, "its credit is zero", which implies that it does not contribute to those 180 credits and has no impact on your final award. I'd just like to double-check.)

This is important as paragraph 10.8 provides details of the minimum mark required in "in individual modules amounting to 160 Credits" and in "individual modules amounting to the other 20 Credits".

If the dissertation is in addition to the 180 credits then its capped mark of zero will not impact "the award of the Degree of Master". It will, however, impact the ability for you to be awarded "with Distinction" or "with Merit".

10.8 To be eligible for the award of the Degree of Master, students must comply with the requirements of 5.3 above and must achieve at least 40.0% in individual modules amounting to 160 Credits and at least 35.0% in individual modules amounting to the other 20 Credits.

10.9 Students who attain an overall weighted average in all modules of at least 68.0%, and at least 70.0% in any dissertation, project or major report, etc., shall be eligible for the award of the Degree of Master with Distinction.

10.10 Students who attain an overall weighted average in all modules of at least 58.0%, and at least 60.0% in any dissertation, project or major report, etc., shall be eligible for the award of the Degree of Master with Merit.

It would obviously be better for someone at the university to confirm the above, rather some random stranger on TSR (me).
Reply 6
understood thanks alot for replying appreciated will do i have completef 120 credits and remaining are 60 credits of dossertation which i must passed to get masters degree total 180 credits (Original post by DataVenia)The short answer is that my reading of the regulations is that you can still obtain your Master's (assuming you've passed every else), but that you can't earn a merit or distinction. The long answer is below...

The quotes below are all from Regulation 9 Postgraduate Taught Awards on their web site.

understood thanks alot for replying appreciated will do i have completef 120 credits and remaining are 60 credits of dossertation which i must passed to get masters degree total 180 credits

You've said that "total credits are 180 my all modules are passed", but the regulations say that those 180 credits "will normally include a dissertation".

Can you confirm how many credits the dissertation is worth, and whether it represents some of those 180 credits or is in addition to them? (Your first post says, "its credit is zero", which implies that it does not contribute to those 180 credits and has no impact on your final award. I'd just like to double-check.)

This is important as paragraph 10.8 provides details of the minimum mark required in "in individual modules amounting to 160 Credits" and in "individual modules amounting to the other 20 Credits".

If the dissertation is in addition to the 180 credits then its capped mark of zero will not impact "the award of the Degree of Master". It will, however, impact the ability for you to be awarded "with Distinction" or "with Merit".

It would obviously be better for someone at the university to confirm the above, rather some random stranger on TSR (me).

Original post by DataVenia
The short answer is that my reading of the regulations is that you can still obtain your Master's (assuming you've passed every else), but that you can't earn a merit or distinction. The long answer is below...

Reply 7
With a zero cap resubmission, the aim is usually to award the credits (but not a mark) in order that the degree be conferred. It will impact your classification in all circumstances, it will impact your ability for further future study.
Reply 8
What happened after resit assignment for capped module at 0 %?? What happened with you are u passed the degree or not??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending