The Student Room Group

Should I take further maths A level?

In year 10, I did my math GCSE a year early and got an 8. Now in year 11 i'm doing further maths and I've been questioning if I should take it as an A level. Some people told me that it is not worth it so I want some advice on what to do.
Reply 1
Original post by sdmlol
In year 10, I did my math GCSE a year early and got an 8. Now in year 11 i'm doing further maths and I've been questioning if I should take it as an A level. Some people told me that it is not worth it so I want some advice on what to do.

Hiya, year 13 maths and FM student here.
The normal Maths A-Level content, especially in first year, really isn’t much harder than GCSE FM, it just requires you to have a good grasp of the concepts which you then need to apply to more challenging styles of questions. It is also a well respected A-Level which lots of further education establishment will highly regard so I would definitely reccomend taking normal maths.
Regarding A-Level FM, it really isn’t needed in most cases unless you want to take a degree in mathematics or comp sci. It is also subjectively the hardest A-Level out there so you will need to work hard even if you’re good at maths. But that’s kind of the whole extent of the “negatives”, if you can even class the latter as one. FM, in my biased opinion, is the best A-Level out there, it is by far the most interesting subject I take as all of the content is new and fascinating (obviously you won’t click with every topic but that’s inevitable and synonymous with all A-Level courses). Also taking FM, as long as your school runs FM in both years and doesn’t group it to second year only, makes normal maths, dare I say, easy and almost half an A-Level, if that. This is because you will have covered lots of the content already in FM with a much greater degree of specificity and deeper understanding. Tbh I could go on about how FM is the best A-Level.
It’s not true for all people, far from it, but as long as you enjoy and are good at maths (as it appears you are) and are willing to put the work in I couldn’t recommend it enough. Unis love it, it’s very interesting, and you will ace normal maths A-Level maths if you take it.
Hope that helps, any questions give me a shout!
Reply 2
Original post by Finn Wilde
Hiya, year 13 maths and FM student here.
The normal Maths A-Level content, especially in first year, really isn’t much harder than GCSE FM, it just requires you to have a good grasp of the concepts which you then need to apply to more challenging styles of questions. It is also a well respected A-Level which lots of further education establishment will highly regard so I would definitely reccomend taking normal maths.
Regarding A-Level FM, it really isn’t needed in most cases unless you want to take a degree in mathematics or comp sci. It is also subjectively the hardest A-Level out there so you will need to work hard even if you’re good at maths. But that’s kind of the whole extent of the “negatives”, if you can even class the latter as one. FM, in my biased opinion, is the best A-Level out there, it is by far the most interesting subject I take as all of the content is new and fascinating (obviously you won’t click with every topic but that’s inevitable and synonymous with all A-Level courses). Also taking FM, as long as your school runs FM in both years and doesn’t group it to second year only, makes normal maths, dare I say, easy and almost half an A-Level, if that. This is because you will have covered lots of the content already in FM with a much greater degree of specificity and deeper understanding. Tbh I could go on about how FM is the best A-Level.
It’s not true for all people, far from it, but as long as you enjoy and are good at maths (as it appears you are) and are willing to put the work in I couldn’t recommend it enough. Unis love it, it’s very interesting, and you will ace normal maths A-Level maths if you take it.
Hope that helps, any questions give me a shout!

Hi, thats really helpful to know, Im predicted a 9 in gcse maths and have accelerated in the subject and absolutely want to do a level maths but am unsure whether i want to do FM as people say its really hard, but I still want to do it because i love the subject and have a strong algebraic grasp and want to learn new things
Reply 3
Original post by Tommydav
Hi, thats really helpful to know, Im predicted a 9 in gcse maths and have accelerated in the subject and absolutely want to do a level maths but am unsure whether i want to do FM as people say its really hard, but I still want to do it because i love the subject and have a strong algebraic grasp and want to learn new things

If you’re predicted a 9 in gcse you will almost certainly have the potential to do well in A-Level FM. They’re not lying when they say it’s hard caus, well, it is. But that’s kind of the whole point of FM; oftentimes the hardest maths is the most interesting. So don’t be put off by the difficulty as long as you’re willing to put in the work. Also, if it makes you feel better, due to the difficulty the grade boundaries are one of the lowest of all A-Levels with an A requiring approximately 58%.
I think, even if you’re still not totally convinced, you should take it and then you have the option of dropping it after a few weeks if you change your mind, taking an AS, or pursuing it to the end.
Reply 4
Original post by Finn Wilde
If you’re predicted a 9 in gcse you will almost certainly have the potential to do well in A-Level FM. They’re not lying when they say it’s hard caus, well, it is. But that’s kind of the whole point of FM; oftentimes the hardest maths is the most interesting. So don’t be put off by the difficulty as long as you’re willing to put in the work. Also, if it makes you feel better, due to the difficulty the grade boundaries are one of the lowest of all A-Levels with an A requiring approximately 58%.
I think, even if you’re still not totally convinced, you should take it and then you have the option of dropping it after a few weeks if you change your mind, taking an AS, or pursuing it to the end.

thanks - really helpful I think ill take it anyway regardless because Im always fascinated by complex maths and it sounds perfect - even if it is challenging simultaneously

Quick Reply

Latest