The Student Room Group

Should i resit my uni exam?? help!!

I’m honestly torn between what to do. I’m a first year medical student, but I only did two exams this year as my programme is one that splits stage 1 into two years, thus splitting the exams over 2 years.

During my first exam, my computer was bugging out, and long story short it resulted in me losing a total of 20 mins. I already think I did bad enough as I didn’t revise as much as I should have, but the timing also threw me off. I still got the entire exam done, but not with much time to spare

My question is:
should I submit a mitigating circumstances form, and if it gets approved, resit this exam in august?

OR

should I wait to see if I have passed the exam (roughly find out in july)? If i find out i have FAILED, i can still re-sit, HOWEVER, my mark is capped at 60% (which idc i just need a pass) and it shows up on my record. However, the stage head said it doesn’t affect my degree whatsoever, and i’m fine with it being on the record BUT i’m currently receive a scholarship, and i’m afraid the person that funds me will think i’m incompetent for the money. I am meeting her for the first time this Thursday, so I was hoping of bringing it up so she knows if i fail it’s partially technical difficulties to blame, but again, i need to submit the mitigating circumstances form TODAY, as it’s been almost 7 days past the exam.

i’m really unsure. I’m not a productive organised student, so I thought perhaps if my mitigating circumstances request got approved, it would be time to prove myself and become a better student and build good habits over the summer. but with that, what if i fail on my words like i always do and end up procastinating?

i’m thinking if i do the mitigating circumstances form, it might not even be approved and i should take that as Gods sign to wait to see if i’ve actually failed. But if it is approved, i’d have to live up to my words.
Reply 1
i didn’t realise how long this was🫣 thanks if you read till the end

also i know my scholarship funder probably won’t withdraw it but i just want to make their money worth it and not make them thing they’re wasting it
Reply 2
boost boost boost
Reply 3
What would be your mitgating circumstances? If it's to do with your computer, it highly unlikely to be accepted unless you were in uni using a uni machine.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by cheadle
What would be your mitgating circumstances? If it's to do with your computer, it highly unlikely to be accepted unless you were in uni using a uni machine.

thanks for the reply. I ended up submitting it.

Yeah my mitigating circumstances was the technical difficulties faced due to the laptop given (my uni had rented out a centre and provided all the equipment)
Anon,

If it gets approved, it might be an idea to try and make a manageable and realistic revision timetable ahead of the exam.

'Procrastination is the thief of time' and it can be difficult to stay motivated when you are going over things again and again, but different revision techniques might help: practising questions, doing posters/mind-maps, making tables etc...

It might also be an idea to reflect on this year and how you can be better organised ahead of Year 2. It might be getting up earlier or going to sleep earlier. (Set that alarm!) It might be spending less time in the kitchen or joining fewer societies. Think about ways in which you lost time this year and think about how you reclaim it next year.

Congrats on the scholarship! It's good to be open and honest, but it might sound like your making excuses in case you don't do well in the exam. It might be better to focus more on strategies for improvement next year.

You have just completed the first year of an intense degree, and there will have been lots to learn and to get used to, but you will know how things work at your university now and will have a better idea of what university life is like, so it's all about making positive changes going forward.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 6
Original post by University of Huddersfield
Anon,

If it gets approved, it might be an idea to try and make a manageable and realistic revision timetable ahead of the exam.

'Procrastination is the thief of time' and it can be difficult to stay motivated when you are going over things again and again, but different revision techniques might help: practising questions, doing posters/mind-maps, making tables etc...

It might also be an idea to reflect on this year and how you can be better organised ahead of Year 2. It might be getting up earlier or going to sleep earlier. (Set that alarm!) It might be spending less time in the kitchen or joining fewer societies. Think about ways in which you lost time this year and think about how you reclaim it next year.

Congrats on the scholarship! It's good to be open and honest, but it might sound like your making excuses in case you don't do well in the exam. It might be better to focus more on strategies for improvement next year.

You have just completed the first year of an intense degree, and there will have been lots to learn and to get used to, but you will know how things work at your university now and will have a better idea of what university life is like, so it's all about making positive changes going forward.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

hey oluwatosin,

apologies for the late reply, but just wanted to say you're 100% right, and I'll take this advice with me moving forward

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending