The Student Room Group

dentistry applicant HELPPP ME NEED SOME ADVICE!!

hi currently im in year 13 and ive done my a level however i dont belive it went well enough i think ill probably achieve CCC so i have booked my UCAT in septemebr and worst case scenario i will retake my exams in november to get into dentistry. but whats the possibility of me getting into uni with retake i know some uni accepts retake under mitigating circumstance and my reason would be due to mental health illness as i was diagnosed prior of my exams.

im aiming to resit my a levels if i dont achieve the grades this year around and i will get a high ucat. and i will beginning preparing next week. hopefully. however whats the success rate of me getting accepted.

please help me as i need some serious advice and my heart is set dentistry and i dont see myself doing anything else.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Xzizzi
hi currently im in year 13 and ive done my a level however i dont belive it went well enough i think ill probably achieve CCC so i have booked my UCAT in septemebr and worst case scenario i will retake my exams in november to get into dentistry. but whats the possibility of me getting into uni with retake i know some uni accepts retake under mitigating circumstance and my reason would be due to mental health illness as i was diagnosed prior of my exams.

im aiming to resit my a levels if i dont achieve the grades this year around and i will get a high ucat. and i will beginning preparing next week. hopefully. however whats the success rate of me getting accepted.

please help me as i need some serious advice and my heart is set dentistry and i dont see myself doing anything else.

Dentistry is very competitive even with the grades. I'm not sure what the success rate is, it depends on what you get in your UCAT and if you apply strategically.

@Mesopotamian. Will have a better idea of the stats.
Original post by Xzizzi

There are no Autumn resits this year as you're actually sitting exams, those were for people who were not happy with their teacher assessed grades in 2020 and 2021.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/courses/dentistry/dentistry-entry-requirements
Have a look at the entry requirements page I've linked in the dentistry wiki for universities that allow resits.
Reply 3
right so i would retake in the summer then but is it even worth resitting and doing dentistry
Original post by hungrysalamander
There are no Autumn resits this year as you're actually sitting exams, those were for people who were not happy with their teacher assessed grades in 2020 and 2021.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/courses/dentistry/dentistry-entry-requirements
Have a look at the entry requirements page I've linked in the dentistry wiki for universities that allow resits.
Reply 4
HI thankyou for responding but i dont know lets say ill retake my a levels again privately would i get into university if i get a high ucat obviously
Original post by spectrum84
Dentistry is very competitive even with the grades. I'm not sure what the success rate is, it depends on what you get in your UCAT and if you apply strategically.

@Mesopotamian. Will have a better idea of the stats.

As above, you need to check which universities accept resits as not all do. You need to achieve the minimum A Level grades required: a high UCAT alone will not help you if you’ve not achieved the required grades as the course is incredibly competitive and even people exceeding the minimum requirements are rejected.
Pretty sure there's 1 more chem and bio exam so all hope is not lost , just try your best on those last 2 and simply wait until results day . By then you would've had more time to think and make your decision.
Reply 7
yes i understand and i will only apply to the unversites that do accept resits and when i retake i will achieve the grades and in addition i will get a high ucat. howver im debating if i should give it a shot or not as its too comeptetive
Original post by Mesopotamian.
As above, you need to check which universities accept resits as not all do. You need to achieve the minimum A Level grades required: a high UCAT alone will not help you if you’ve not achieved the required grades as the course is incredibly competitive and even people exceeding the minimum requirements are rejected.
Original post by Xzizzi
yes i understand and i will only apply to the unversites that do accept resits and when i retake i will achieve the grades and in addition i will get a high ucat. howver im debating if i should give it a shot or not as its too comeptetive

Depends on how much you want to do dentistry I suppose. 1 gap year in the grand scheme of things isn’t much and you may regret not trying later on.
Reply 9
i wouldnt mind taking two years off of trying to get in
Depends on how much you want to do dentistry I suppose. 1 gap year in the grand scheme of things isn’t much and you may regret not trying later on.
Reply 10
but i have emailed the universities
Original post by Xzizzi
Original post by Xzizzi

There you go then - it’s worth a shot if you get the right grades.
Reply 12
lol thats if i resit and get the grades
There you go then - it’s worth a shot if you get the right grades.
Original post by Xzizzi
right so i would retake in the summer then but is it even worth resitting and doing dentistry

That’s up to you to decide.
Reply 14
right but im not sure if i would even get it in ahahha
That’s up to you to decide.
Original post by Xzizzi
right but im not sure if i would even get it in ahahha

No one is guaranteed success when applying to dentistry. We all apply with the risk of rejection. It’s a gamble everyone takes.
Original post by Xzizzi

Hi,

I am in similar sitiuation to you right now.

Have you applied to unis that accept resits? if yes what are they please?
Reply 17
Original post by Xzizzi

Hi, currently in the same position as you, got ABB in my A levels and missed out on my offer :/

Wondering how things went for you and was it worth resitting and did you end up getting an offer?

Quick Reply

Latest