The Student Room Group

English Language AQA

Hey, does anyone have any tips for Paper 2 question 4? You know, the one where we have to write our own opinion article. Like I genuinely do not know how I should approach this, like???
Any tips would be really useful, thank you!!
I’d reccommend looking up writing frames and trying to memorise them, then you can just adapt it to the topic. :smile:
I did the AQA English Language A-level in 2019, so it’s been a little while (things might be different so don’t take my word as fact!!!) but I always hated this part too. I always felt like what I wrote was super cringey, but in the end that’s kind of what they want. They’re essentially testing your ability to write in different styles, so it shouldn’t feel like an essay. I would suggest reading some opinion articles about language and trying to mimic a style that you like. I always went overboard with rhetorical questions lol. Try to develop your line of argument as you go through, so that they aren’t surprised by your conclusion…weave in some studies as and where relevant if you can. I’m not sure if this is helpful but happy to try and answer any more specific questions! :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you for your answer!!

So do you think I should focus more on giving my opinions or the studies and theories related to the subject?
Original post by onlyiki
Thank you for your answer!!

So do you think I should focus more on giving my opinions or the studies and theories related to the subject?

Definitely focus on conveying your opinion (or whatever opinion you decide to write about!). I would suggest checking the mark scheme regarding mentioning studies/theories as I can’t fully remember how much you’re expected to include. But when I did it, I used these things to give my opinion a bit more substance, so it’s not just me saying ‘well I think this and you’re all wrong’ lmaoo
Sometimes it might help practising writing articles from multiple sides of the argument, so that you’re able to write something even if it’s not necessarily what you think!
Reply 5
Original post by sleepystudent
Definitely focus on conveying your opinion (or whatever opinion you decide to write about!). I would suggest checking the mark scheme regarding mentioning studies/theories as I can’t fully remember how much you’re expected to include. But when I did it, I used these things to give my opinion a bit more substance, so it’s not just me saying ‘well I think this and you’re all wrong’ lmaoo
Sometimes it might help practising writing articles from multiple sides of the argument, so that you’re able to write something even if it’s not necessarily what you think!

Thank you soo much!!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending