The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

exeter uni muslims

any tips for me starting exeter in september, and HOOWWW do i make friends who don't always drink
Original post by Anonymous
any tips for me starting exeter in september, and HOOWWW do i make friends who don't always drink

Hi there,

I hope you're excited to start university soon! Being nervous about starting university is a common feeling. I remember being really nervous (alongside excitement) before going because I'm quite a shy person and I also don't drink. As I've been a first year fresher before, I have some tips that might help you and also some reassurance for you that it's completely possible to make friends when you don't drink/find people who also don't drink often.

My tips:

1. If you're staying in halls, when you move in leave your room door slightly open so that when flatmates arrive you can introduce yourselves. This can ease a lot of nerves because at least you've met who you're living with, rather than moving in and having no idea who's in your flat. You could even sit in communal areas to meet people when they arrive.

2. During freshers try to organise a small meet up with your flatmates. This doesn't have to be a crazy event, it can just be a gathering in the kitchen and having pizza while watching a movie (that's what we did anyways:smile:). This is a great way to get to know your flatmates better.

3. During freshers, take advantage of the loads of amazing opportunities and events. There's lots of society taster sessions and they're free so why not have a go?:smile: Aside from being an opportunity to meet new people, it could make you realise you love something you've never done before. For me I found out I loved salsa dancing.

4. Get to know the place. Once you start term it can be helpful to know where key points of interest are - the forum, lecture halls, eating places, study spaces etc. You could also get to know Exeter as a city - maybe head down to the quay or Exmouth beach or figure out where you want to do your grocery shopping.

5. Once you start term you can meet your coursemates. It can be anxiety provoking to walk into a lecture hall not knowing anyone, but lots of people are in the same boat. Try to sit next to people and get to know them, as you'll probably be seeing them a lot.

6. This is more of an organisational tip but when you get all your assignments, write them down with the deadlines and stick them to your pinboard in your room (or make reminders on your phone). This helps you stay on top of your work. You can even tick assignments off when you've submitted them (I like to do it because it feels like a little reward:smile:)

Regarding making friends who don't always drink - university is a place where so many different people and personalities come together. You'll find lots of people with similar interests or people that may have different interests but respect yours. Not all freshers events are clubbing or partying, and even when term starts lots of societies try to incorporate non-drinking socials like coffee mornings or bracelet making socials. I hope this helps reassure you a bit.

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

Bethan
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Hey, I’m Muslim going to Exeter too!
Reply 3
Original post by Muj1111
Hey, I’m Muslim going to Exeter too!

heyyyyy what course r u doing? r u a guy or girl
Reply 4
Original post by ExeterStudentRep
Hi there,

I hope you're excited to start university soon! Being nervous about starting university is a common feeling. I remember being really nervous (alongside excitement) before going because I'm quite a shy person and I also don't drink. As I've been a first year fresher before, I have some tips that might help you and also some reassurance for you that it's completely possible to make friends when you don't drink/find people who also don't drink often.

My tips:

1. If you're staying in halls, when you move in leave your room door slightly open so that when flatmates arrive you can introduce yourselves. This can ease a lot of nerves because at least you've met who you're living with, rather than moving in and having no idea who's in your flat. You could even sit in communal areas to meet people when they arrive.

2. During freshers try to organise a small meet up with your flatmates. This doesn't have to be a crazy event, it can just be a gathering in the kitchen and having pizza while watching a movie (that's what we did anyways:smile:). This is a great way to get to know your flatmates better.

3. During freshers, take advantage of the loads of amazing opportunities and events. There's lots of society taster sessions and they're free so why not have a go?:smile: Aside from being an opportunity to meet new people, it could make you realise you love something you've never done before. For me I found out I loved salsa dancing.

4. Get to know the place. Once you start term it can be helpful to know where key points of interest are - the forum, lecture halls, eating places, study spaces etc. You could also get to know Exeter as a city - maybe head down to the quay or Exmouth beach or figure out where you want to do your grocery shopping.

5. Once you start term you can meet your coursemates. It can be anxiety provoking to walk into a lecture hall not knowing anyone, but lots of people are in the same boat. Try to sit next to people and get to know them, as you'll probably be seeing them a lot.

6. This is more of an organisational tip but when you get all your assignments, write them down with the deadlines and stick them to your pinboard in your room (or make reminders on your phone). This helps you stay on top of your work. You can even tick assignments off when you've submitted them (I like to do it because it feels like a little reward:smile:)

Regarding making friends who don't always drink - university is a place where so many different people and personalities come together. You'll find lots of people with similar interests or people that may have different interests but respect yours. Not all freshers events are clubbing or partying, and even when term starts lots of societies try to incorporate non-drinking socials like coffee mornings or bracelet making socials. I hope this helps reassure you a bit.

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

Bethan
University of Exeter Student Ambassador

thankyouu i feel a little more at ease now
Reply 5
heyyyyy what course r u doing? r u a guy or girl

I’m a guy, gonna do history and international relations
Reply 6
Original post by Muj1111
I’m a guy, gonna do history and international relations

cooolll im a girl, gonna do neuroscience
have u had a look at societies
Reply 7
cooolll im a girl, gonna do neuroscience
have u had a look at societies

hey! i'm doing neuroscience too :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by karma100
hey! i'm doing neuroscience too :smile:

heyyyy do u know anyone else on the course. im sooo nervous
Reply 9
heyyyy do u know anyone else on the course. im sooo nervous

oh I don't know anyone yet but I'm sure everyone will be friendly! is there any way to get ur socials so we can text a bit?
Reply 10
Original post by karma100
oh I don't know anyone yet but I'm sure everyone will be friendly! is there any way to get ur socials so we can text a bit?

hey i just private messaged you :smile:

Join your Islamic society (ISOC), go to ISOC events and speak to people on the prayer room. If you feel shy about speaking to strangers, if you see Muslim sisters in the library, just ask them to show you where the prayer room is even if you know where it is and it will be a soft excuse to start a convo and small talk
Reply 12
ayy i'm also a muslim who's going to uni of exeter !! down to make friends and stuff, since that would be helpful having others who can relate to everything. i'm gonna be in streatham campus studying computer science, personally. hope to see some of you in september :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending